• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK: Okay i've now got chinos, are polo shirts the next thing to buy?

adamt

Reaction score
Hi,
This is aimed at UK members,
I recently discussed my lack of up-to-date fashion ,
I m 25 and need a new wardrobe, so i've now changed the casual jeans i wear when outside for chinos,

so i now need new tops to wear with them

i currently wear light sweaters/ thin jumpers with them, creams, browns, navys & blacks mainly
i've realised the t-shirts i own are mainly printed ones from the likes of topman, river island, etc

are polo shirts a current trend?
i dont actually own any so wouldn't mind some for summer, or what us English call summer :s

So when it comes to polos to wear with cargos and chinos, purely casual, to the pub, shops, evenings/weekend etc
What are advisable styles of Polos?

Plain , stripes, prints - big & small, etc

i though stripes ran its course a few years back, but i see a fair amount of stripes in shops still
I want to dress my age so no loud bright 'in-your-face' colours/designs

I have been buying tops/bottoms from Zara, & Uniqlo recently
I dont want to spend more than £20-30 each polo shirt
What online shops sell a nice range of polos for this price?

Any tips?

thanks

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"trend" and "polo shirt" are anathema here.

Personally I have come to prefer wearing a V-neck T-shirt or a crewneck T-shirt with V-neck jumper over it with chinos. Or button-down shirt.

These days I've come to reserve the polo shirt for extremely hot weather utility dressing. Cotton piqué polo shirts are dirt and stain magnets and you can't get the stains out. The only polos I have now are icebreaker Kent Polo's which are made from Merino wool, and Vertx polos which are made from polyester.

adamt

Reaction score
thanks for the reply,

any other opinions of polo t-shirts?

specifically the style of polo t-shirt (plain, striped, emblems)
and places that sell nice polos you'd recommend?
ideally in the £20-30 each price range?

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
I have bought polos from Charles Tyrwhitt in the past, specifically the long-sleeved ones. They are almost always on sale (if not wait a week or two and they will be) and within your price range. They are nice enough. I stick to plains myself, no stripes and definitely no prints, numbers or logos.

Have a go with a casual shirt with your chinos sometime - maybe something in oxford cloth, perhaps with checks. It's not such a big step up in formality as you might imagine.

adamt

Reaction score
When i hear 'casual shirt; im quite confused what is classed as casual,

could you show a picture of what you mean?

im just picturing a plain short sleeve shirt

out of curiosity are you in your mid twenties?

Last edited:

Dib

Reaction score

Hi,
This is aimed at UK members, 
I recently discussed my lack of up-to-date fashion , 
I m 25 and need a new wardrobe, so i've now changed the casual jeans i wear when outside for chinos, 

so i now need new tops to wear with them

i currently wear light sweaters/ thin jumpers with them, creams, browns, navys & blacks mainly
i've realised the t-shirts i own are mainly printed ones from the likes of topman, river island, etc

are polo shirts a current trend?
i dont actually own any so wouldn't mind some for summer, or what us English call summer :s

So when it comes to polos to wear with cargos and chinos, purely casual, to the pub, shops, evenings/weekend etc
What are advisable styles of Polos?

Plain , stripes, prints - big & small, etc

i though stripes ran its course a few years back, but i see a fair amount of stripes in shops still
I want to dress my age so no loud bright 'in-your-face' colours/designs

I have been buying tops/bottoms from Zara, & Uniqlo recently
I dont want to spend more than £20-30 each polo shirt
What online shops sell a nice range of polos for this price?

Any tips?

thanks

No polos are not a "current trend", anymore than t shirts are a current trend. They are simple, staple, casual items of a wardrobe that are useful to have for specific occasions.

You can pick up basic plain polos within your price range from gap, uniqlo, jcrew etc.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

When i hear 'casual shirt; im quite confused what is classed as casual,

could you show a picture of what you mean?

im just picturing a plain short sleeve shirt

out of curiosity are you in your mid twenties?

I don't like short sleeved shirts all that much myself; I prefer to roll up the sleeves of a long sleeve shirt. I think it creates a nice relaxed look - more relaxed than a short sleeved shirt, oddly enough.

I suppose there is no hard and fast rule about what's a casual shirt and what's a smart one. But basically there are shirts that you could wear with a jacket and tie to the office, and there are shirts that you just couldn't (though you may see some people on SF try...).

Generally speaking the more pattern it has, or the bigger the checks, the more casual. But a plain white or blue shirt in a loosely woven cloth like oxford cloth or chambray could be either smart or casual, depending on what you wear it with (which makes them a good versatile thing to own). Roughly speaking they can pass with a jacket and tie because of the plain colour, but they look good casually because of the coarser nature of the cloth which always looks a bit rustic and rumpled (in a good way). You need to look at in person really - get down the high street and compare a plain white gap oxford cloth shirt to a plain white M&S office shirt and you'll see what I mean.

I've just picked out a couple of recent examples from the MC casual thread (not saying you should wear this exactly but you get the idea). Notice you don't even have to tuck the shirt in. I think you could wear something like this with chinos, combats or jeans down the pub without looking over dressed. I certainly do it all the time. It is a bit more grown up than a t shirt, for sure, but that's no bad thing. I'm 31.

[/URL]

[/URL]

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless they're Ralph Lauren or one of the SF affiliated brands.

QFT. Though if its RL, only purple label will do.

Last edited:

adamt

Reaction score
No polos are not a "current trend", anymore than t shirts are a current trend. They are simple, staple, casual items of a wardrobe that are useful to have for specific occasions.
You can pick up basic plain polos within your price range from gap, uniqlo, jcrew etc.

thanks,
what would you class as a specific occasion to wear a polo shirt?

I don't like short sleeved shirts all that much myself; I prefer to roll up the sleeves of a long sleeve shirt. I think it creates a nice relaxed look - more relaxed than a short sleeved shirt, oddly enough.
I suppose there is no hard and fast rule about what's a casual shirt and what's a smart one. But basically there are shirts that you could wear with a jacket and tie to the office, and there are shirts that you just couldn't (though you may see some people on SF try...).
Generally speaking the more pattern it has, or the bigger the checks, the more casual. But a plain white or blue shirt in a loosely woven cloth like oxford cloth or chambray could be either smart or casual, depending on what you wear it with (which makes them a good versatile thing to own). Roughly speaking they can pass with a jacket and tie because of the plain colour, but they look good casually because of the coarser nature of the cloth which always looks a bit rustic and rumpled (in a good way). You need to look at in person really - get down the high street and compare a plain white gap oxford cloth shirt to a plain white M&S office shirt and you'll see what I mean.
I've just picked out a couple of recent examples from the MC casual thread (not saying you should wear this exactly but you get the idea). Notice you don't even have to tuck the shirt in. I think you could wear something like this with chinos, combats or jeans down the pub without looking over dressed. I certainly do it all the time. It is a bit more grown up than a t shirt, for sure, but that's no bad thing. I'm 31.
[/URL]
[/URL]

I've always preferred the rolled up long sleeve shirt, to the short sleeve shirt,
it looks better i think

thanks for the suggestions

Dib

Reaction score

thanks,
what would you class as a specific occasion to wear a polo shirt?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just meant that they are pretty casual and are just something I would throw on if I was going to the gym, or popping to the shops or something like that.

Your original post refers to you wanting more "up to date fashion" and asks whether polos are on "trend", so I was just trying to make the point that there is nothing particualry fashionable or stylish about polos, they are a pretty utilitarian item of clothing.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Chinos with almost any type of pale chambray, royal oxford or almost any shirt with checks on them looks reasonably good. It does not have to be polo. I personally prefer normal shirts with single barrel cuff and pointed collars which distinguishes them sufficiently from formal shirts that have semi-spread collar and double cuffs.

adamt

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just meant that they are pretty casual and are just something I would throw on if I was going to the gym, or popping to the shops or something like that.
Your original post refers to you wanting more "up to date fashion" and asks whether polos are on "trend", so I was just trying to make the point that there is nothing particualry fashionable or stylish about polos, they are a pretty utilitarian item of clothing.

I see now,

i need more of these casual clothes besides t-shirts with prints,
so i will start buying some casual shirts

any recommendations of UK shops that have a nice selection of these casual shirts at reasonable prices = £20-40
i dont want to shop at the common retailers like topman, river island, zara etc
good value would be a bonus

thank you

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat