• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

UK members - interesting tv program

jkw

Reaction score
BBC 4 - now, it's half way through, but there should be that online viewer thing

Ozwald Boateng talking about british style. Some random stuff, but since I changed channel, the focus has been on Savile Row. He's interviewing different houses, it's quite interesting.

Sorry for the short post and to US members for not summarising it, but I must get back to the tv...

larsrindsig

Reaction score
This does sound like an interesting programme. If you're in the UK it's available to watch online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gmj5m and will be repeated on BBC Four on the 10th at 9pm. For those of us not in the UK might someone here be able to record it off the site or tomorrow off the telly?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The BBC is having a Style season. Lots of interesting programmes about clothes/fashion.

I saw most of a fly-on-the-wall style documentary on Chanel yesterday. It was on at an ungodly hour of the night, so I presume it was a late-night rerun, but who knows. Regardless, it was a great little show - they followed the top seamstresses at Chanel and discussed the difficulties and joys of working for the house. What impressed me was how dedicated they all were - really cared about the product they created, refused to send out anything that was not perfect, and it was also clear they loved couture in general with a passion. Hearing them cooing all over new design sketches they now had to create was lovely and there were some charming vignettes about their time working with Pierre Cardin, etc. What I loved the most was the atmosphere of the workshop that came across on TV - fun, joyful, busy and sometimes stressful but dedicated & professional and utterly committed to creating something chic and beautiful. Exactly what you would want. Great PR for Chanel.

Plus there were some nice segments following Karl Lagerfeld around and seeing him sketch out designs (and screwing up and chucking them in the bin) and reviewing locations for his shows, etc.

Fascinating stuff. I'm going to try to dig up the name of show. It's part of a series, I think.

EDIT: found it on BBC's site: House of Chanel

LeonM

Reaction score
Just watched the Boateng show in iPlayer. Most interesting was his visit to other tailors on the Row: Huntsman, A&S, and Maurice Sedwell:

John Hitchcock says A&S are using a lot of Hermes scarves as linings, and have been doing Armani for 100 years. Mr. Allen defines Huntsmans cut. Ramroop uses tailor's chalk to sketch his silhouette on some cloth, having just told Boateng he is not a tailor.

Boateng on Boateng was less interesting.

Leon

tricota

Reaction score
Can also be found via torrent on uknova....

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40