• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK Department Store Tailoring

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Just wondered what the consensus is, or if there is a hierarchy, of ready to wear tailoring you can buy in mainstream UK department stores, like M&S, John Lewis, House of Fraser etc.
I am sure it is several levels below the type of thing that the real clothing connoisseurs here spend their money on.
But a some of the stuff you see there (if you avoid the obvious bargain-basement polyester filled stuff) seems fairly decent to my untrained eye.
When you take price into consideration, they tend to be half the price of "fashion" brand suits you get in branded stores like Hugo Boss or Gant. And a quarter of the price of heritage-brand readymade(which I guess is classed as entry-level here).

Panama

Reaction score
They all use the same suppliers, search for Berwin and Berwin, Baird, and Wensum.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Interesting ! So from my research, it seems those companies supply all of the mainstream department store brands as well as more upmarket labels such as Austin Reed and Jaeger, and own brands outright that I see all over the place like Lambretta and Paul Costello.
And none of them are even big or well known enough to get their own Wikipedia page!
They probably provide more tailoring than anyone else to UK consumers and I've never heard of them till now.

Panama

Reaction score
Interesting ! So from my research, it seems those companies supply all of the mainstream department store brands as well as more upmarket labels such as Austin Reed and Jaeger, and own brands outright that I see all over the place like Lambretta and Paul Costello.
And none of them are even big or well known enough to get their own Wikipedia page!
They probably provide more tailoring than anyone else to UK consumers and I've never heard of them till now.
Berwin and Berwin went into administration a few years ago and were bought by Edinburgh Woollen Mills, who had bought Austin Reed and Jaeger out of administration. Wensum has just gone into administration and were owned by the owners of Gieves and Hawkes.

Panama

Reaction score
You also have Bagir of Israel and Prominent Europe of Japan. M&S had relationships with Baird, Dewhirst and other companies. Dewhirst are still producing suits.

Panama

Reaction score
The former Chester Barrie factory in Crewe supplied upmarket suits.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Chester Barrie , Paul Costello,Lambretta - these are all names I'm used to seeing in TK Maxx but hardly anywhere else.
I guess the names of tailoring companies get bought up by private equity groups when they go bust, and used to churn out cheap stuff with a known label that then ends up in discount stores and outlets. Is this about right?
Although - hang on - Lambretta is (was?) An Italian scooter maker. Not sure what's going on there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads