• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK: 25 Year old man, what casual '#bottoms' can i wear besides jeans, that are not joggers/sweatpant

adamt

Reaction score
i wear jeans in the evenings/weekends when i am out of the flat, but when im in side i wear joggers or sweatpants, and sometimes wear them outside.
as they are most comfortable,

i also have 2 pairs of 'combats' like these http://tinyurl.com/blupaba ,

I usually shop at Zara, Massimo Dutti, etc, as i prefer the designs as opposed to the younger 16-21 year olds shops in Topman, River Island, Jack Wills and the like

at the same time, im not rich so cant spend too much

as im 25 now, i would prefer not to wear joggers/sweatpants,
but i am a bit lost where to look and what to look for?

i want essentially, a casual trousers/bottoms like the combats but without all the pockets. i dont want smart trousers that you would wear formally

tell me, what do guys of 25 from the uk wear besides jeans when out or even indoors? not bright or loud colours just mild ones, like cremes/khakis/black, etc

as round here jeans are all i seem to notice

As i am from England would prefer comments from people who live here.

I have 2 weeks off work now so want to buy it all now

thanksl

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton chinos are probably what you're after. Look around in the Streetwear and Denim subforum - that's where most of the younger guys post.

Here are some chinos from Unis:

E TF

Reaction score
+1 to cotton chinos. You can find them cut like jeans and with pockets arranged the same if you want to retain that look and feel - they're often called "five pocket" trousers.

You must now promise SF that you will never again wear sweatpants outside of athletic pursuits.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last summer most of east london where i live appeared to be wearing topman chinos. they are not very good quality but the fit is nice.. at your age you'd be fine in something like that. uniqlo 'perfect shape' khakis are an even nicer option. you can order both online so no hassle.

Last edited:

Lucaio

Reaction score
How about chinos? Just try not to dress like one of those "chino wankers" that seem to be taking over the country.

adamt

Reaction score
1thanks for the replies,

i just checked the uniqlo site, and are 'cargos', what i call 'combats' ? they seem to be

from what i've seen, chinos seem tight fitting, which aint my style, i wear just regular fitting trousers/bottoms,

it looks like skinny/slim trousers are the current trend, but i cant stand skin tight bottoms/trousers, its way too feminine for me

are chinos comfortable? they seem tight like trousers are.
comfortable to wear round the flat, lounging around

besides uniqlo, zara, what other clothes shops are suited to a 25 year old white man?
i found Aubin & Wills which claim to be aimed at 25-35 year old men, but theyre a bit too pricey for me

what types of shoes go well with chinos, and cargos?

Last edited:

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All chins are painted on. They were developed by the army to make the men look like high fashion hipsters in 1940. You need to roll up the bottoms 3 in higher than your ankle and wear penny loafers with no socks for a complete look.

E TF

Reaction score
Yes there is a ridiculous skinny trouser epidemic at the moment, but you still can find comfortable classic fit chinos like you're after. Maybe try banana republic/gap - they used to do a choice of fits, slim/straight/relaxed. Ralph Lauren make various fits and are decent quality, if you wait for their sale you might find some marked down 50%.

A good plain Converse type trainer would be fine, or deck shoes or suede desert boots would look good if you want to be a bit smarter.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinos come in many cuts, from slim to full. Traditional ones are quite full, like Bill's Khakis in the US. I don't know what the UK equivalent would be.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chinos come in many cuts, from slim to full. Traditional ones are quite full, like Bill's Khakis in the US. I don't know what the UK equivalent would be.

He's right. Chinos aka khakis are called that because they're made from a certain kind of cloth. They come in all different cuts and even different colors, though various "khaki" shades are most common. You might also, especially for the cooler months -- which in England means everything except June, July and August -- consider moleskins and cords. Like chinos, these are made from a particular kind of cloth but come in lots of different cuts and colors. They aren't as common as chinos but are still very casual.

adamt

Reaction score
This site is great, i didnt expect the detailed replies.

I will look around for some chinos as this seems most suitable. looking at the banana republic site, there relaxed fit chinos look way too baggy, so maybe the slightly tighter chinos would look better.
i'll also get a pair or two cargos for around the flat. Are chinos as comfortable as cargos/combats?

2 questions:

Generally, what tops are best suited with chinos?
is it simply smart sweaters/shirts or both, in mild /light colours?

Besides the penny loafers, converse and deck shoes previously recommended, what other styles of shoes best suit chinos?

What colours of chinos look best? besides the common acorn colour like these:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads