• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uht oh, just bought a pair of Johnston & Murphy's...

Joey Link

Reaction score
...before checking styleforum
confused.gif

What I was looking for is a comfortable, black slip on with clean lines that I could wear everyday. I've heard Ecco's were good and I was thinking about getting a pair of those, when I found these at Macy's (another fail). I suppose that's what I get when shopping in a mall, but it was a spur of the moment type thing and, while I'm more fashionable than 90% of males, I'm still a noob compared to you guys.

When I tried these on they were extremely comfortable, probably moreso than any other dress(y) shoe I've worn. I figured with a rubber sole they'd probably last a while, and the leather seemed reasonably soft and pliable. I didn't think I'd be able to do any better for $125, but after searching here it sounds like you guys would say I paid about $124 too much. Thankfully, Macy's has an excellent return policy, so I come seeking some advice.

Can you guys think of any 'SF.net approved' shoes that would fit the description of what I'm looking for, have better quality, look better, etc. around my budget? I'd be willing to spend around $50 more, maybe $75.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eek, return them immediately!

GucciKid

Reaction score
I can't answer your question and I'm pretty noobish myself but wow, those are hideous.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Alot of people are fans of Allen Edmonds. If you live in the US, then you can usually find a bargain if you shop around to get a pair for less than $200. The two I bought were $120 and $170...do a search and you'll see tons of threads about these shoes.

Joey Link

Reaction score
I looked at the AE line and I really couldn't find anything similar to these
frown.gif

Just curious anyways, are AE's comfortable?

Can anyone else think of a line fitting my description?

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that you really shouldn't get another pair of shoes "that look like that". There are a ton of choices for very nice comfortable loafers that are better quality and look a hell of alot better than the J&M you have pictured.

If you are a 10.5 or 10 go check out this B&S thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=90057 from a SF member that are tremendous buys!
P1020175.jpg

P1020192.jpg

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joey Link
I looked at the AE line and I really couldn't find anything similar to these
frown.gif

Just curious anyways, are AE's comfortable?

Can anyone else think of a line fitting my description?

Good. Those shoes are aweful.

In my experience AE's are very comfortable assuming you get the correct size. Return those shoes and shop around online, you should be able to find something that suits your needs.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Shoe-World-II - This seller caries a wider variety of AE shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads