• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ugolini

johninla

Reaction score
Who has had experience with Ugolini shoes and, of course, has the expereicne been worthwhile? I've looked at their site and the shoes are really beautiful. I'm wondering, also, if they're a durable as, say, English shoes (Green, Church).
Thank you,
John

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an order in progress. I will update as the project gets further along. For now, I can confirm the folloing facts:

- They are much better made than Green or Church. They are a handmade bespoke shoe like a Lobb, Lattanzi, Bemer etc.
- The styles are on the exuberent side, but when you are at the shop, there are a lot of very conservative examples.
- Pricing is ver good.
- He seems like a nice man to deal with.

johninla

Reaction score
iammatt,
Thanks for the information. How did you get in touch with Ugolini?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
iammatt,
Thanks for the information. How did you get in touch with Ugolini?

I walked into his shop. He only fits and measures in Florence as far as I know. It is possible that he goes to Tokyo, but that does not help either of us.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the starting price point for Ugolini bespoke or mtm? Can you walk in with a single measurement if visiting Florence and get shoes made and shipped to the US, or are more visits required?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If their RTW provider is Vass, I think it's a fair bet that their bespoke stuff is going to be in the stratosphere, too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
If their RTW provider is Vass, I think it's a fair bet that their bespoke stuff is going to be in the stratosphere, too.
That is the crazy part. The Vass U-last shoes cost more in the US than Ugolini bespoke does. Of course if you go to Germany or Hungary...

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I walked into his shop. He only fits and measures in Florence as far as I know. It is possible that he goes to Tokyo, but that does not help either of us.

Gah! I didn't even think of Ugolini when I was there. Was at Stefano Bemer's boutique three days in a row but kept missing him
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Gah! I didn't even think of Ugolini when I was there. Was at Stefano Bemer's boutique three days in a row but kept missing him
frown.gif

Bemer makes nicer shoes... I think. I ordered a pair from each and will be able to compare. Bemer is just about twice the price, so they better be a lot better.

mkk

Reaction score
I have Bemer bespoke. Generally quite nice.

A friend of a friend was apprenticing with Ugolini, and his shoes looked very nice, very stylish. Especially priced <1000 Euro I think it's probably something of a good value.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmathew
I have Bemer bespoke. Generally quite nice. A friend of a friend was apprenticing with Ugolini, and his shoes looked very nice, very stylish. Especially priced <1000 Euro I think it's probably something of a good value.
That is pretty muchwhat I thought about the value. It is well below 1k. Nice guy who seems to like his job. Hopefully they come out great, if not, no big deal. Bemer has a MUCH nicer storefront. It is a bit more commercial, what with the second store, Valextra etc. Nothing wrong with that IMO. IMO, the best makers are the ones who have enough business sense to stay in business and not have to cut corners to pay bills. The shoes do look to be of superb quality, and the price is still relatively low when compared to Rome, Paris or London.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Valextra's shoes by Bemer are rather lackluster or at least the ones I saw.
Yes, the whole Bemer's (what he calls the ready made stuff) is less good. I have a pair of suede Valextra boots that I like well enough.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Valextra's shoes by Bemer are rather lackluster or at least the ones I saw.

iagree the stuff i have i seen in last et al dont not exicte me but horses for courses but the ugolini that i have seen are just great!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware Rob Ugolini was only 37.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads