• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Ugly" Willa

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't believe that appearance discrimination befalls people with mere skin and style problems, watch this.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, I thought she was sort of nerd cute... I would have helped her out.
Then again, they didn't really try very hard to make her ugly.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. She looked more disturbed than homely. However, there's no way around noting that your reply suggests only those who look pleasing to the observer are worth helping. Not approaching her in a bar is one thing, not assisting at the gym is another.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Agreed. She looked more disturbed than homely. However, there's no way around noting that your reply suggests only those who look pleasing to the observer are worth helping. Not approaching her in a bar is one thing, not assisting at the gym is another.

It's popular on this forum to preach about being a proper gentleman, but I'd be willing to bet that most don't practice what they preach. It's not that I'm discriminating against people that aren't attractive, it's that I just that I generally won't bother going out of my way to help someone unless they happen to be an attractive female ;p I'll give special treatment to attractive women, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm discriminating against the less attractive ones.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well yeah, everyone knows that ugly people are scum. They probably look the way they do because either
A: God hates them
B: Their outer appearance reflects their inner self
C: They are too lazy to fix their face and/or body
D: They come from inferior genetic stock

Thats why only beautiful people deserve your attention!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Well yeah, everyone knows that ugly people are scum. They probably look the way they do because either
A: God hates them
B: Their outer appearance reflects their inner self
C: They are too lazy to fix their face and/or body
D: They come from inferior genetic stock

Thats why only beautiful people deserve your attention!

So you're saying that if a man in a track suit with his beer gut hanging out the front and his ass-crack visible from the rear dropped his bag of groceries that you'd rush to help him out?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While physical fitness and style often (if not usually) truthfully reflect something about the person, there certainly are cases in which people are unable (and not unwilling) to meet the standards thereof. Especially with regard to skin health. Sometimes, making fun of people for not measuring up discourages them from making an effort, with criticism about just one thing capable of discouraging appearance management in other areas.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People do cross the line of decency when not only do they not help, but they express contempt at being inconvenienced by a homely person's accident.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About 97% of the population is homely so I think my near universal contempt for other human beings is actually consistent, not discriminatory.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
About 97% of the population is homely so I think my near universal contempt for other human beings is actually consistent, not discriminatory.

score one for the misanthropes!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Montecristo:
Might as well just put out your eyes in a dramatic, Shakespearian way.

smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics