Ugly Scarves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Liam O, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I'm a big fan of obnoxious accessories, totally tasteless belts and buckles, hideous socks, and especially ugly scarves... I also weave (badly) as a hobby. I was playing around with a new loom that I'm not exactly used to yet, and I was just trying out some different twill patterns, mainly because I can. I did a simple runner with a few different threads/patterns as a tester and I tried to felt it just for kicks.

Long story short, its more or less the ugliest scarf I've ever seen, but I kinda like it for some reason. I'm just wondering if I can get away with wearing it out of the house like its meant to be that hideous, or if its just too sh!t to be seen in.

Honest opinions would be appreciated. I'm not thin skinned so feel free to be as cruel as you like.[​IMG]

2. Jorgeezy

Jorgeezy Senior member

If you're wearing a $5k suit most people won't question it imo.

And those who do, will probably be shocked when you say you made it yourself and think it's quite cool that you did.

I wouldn't personally wear it, but that's because it wouldn't suit me [​IMG]

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

I think that scarf would work...

If you ever needed something to hang yourself with or if you are stuck in a porta-john at a Justin Bieber concert and you are out of toilet paper.
    Actualy, if you find yourself in the above situation, hanging will probably be the easy way out.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

I think the colour/pattern be pretty awesome for Fall/Autumn/Winter with that rustic look. Together with a patterned/textured jacket of heavier weight. Too short and quality looks rubbish though.

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Looks like its been chewed by a dog.

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Way too short, and the ends look horrible. It looks like you had a whole scarf, and it got caught in farm equipment. The pattern is fine, a bit of a whatever thing. You can go pretty wild with scarves and still be fine. But it looks like trash for other reasons.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sometimes I find myself thinking, "This outfit could use a touch of old crone."

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Thank you.

I didn't bother selvedging the ends because I figured once I was down working out the patterns I'd just chuck it.

I think thats what I'll wind up doing. I'm glad there's a forum to scream "NO!" when I get it into my head something is cool. Like fezzes. Or bowties.

9. mandjo

mandjo Well-Known Member

You made this? Quality doesn't look good, I'm sorry. It looks hurriedly done but the pattern works.

10. joeman

joeman Senior member

It's wearable only if you work on fine tuning the weaving process.

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I thought this thread was going to be about how ugly scarves are prevalent and that it's difficult to find a nice looking scarf. And I was planning on wholeheartedly agreeing with the statement as it seems like 95% of scarves are ugly, especially the Irish and Scottish scarves. They make good quality scarves but their patterns are generally awful. Nevertheless, this thread was not about this.

12. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

It's got a Bohemian vibe to it. The asymmetric pattern and color is reminiscent of what the Japanese designers like to do. Wear it with jeans and boots and it will look cool.

13. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

I do agree with the whole bohemian appeal but hope you fix the ends a bit.

14. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I agree. The pattern actually wouldn't look too bad with some nice well-worn tweeds, but only if the scarf was much longer and the tassles on the ends were much shorter (or were removed completely).