1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ugly as fick, but would hauls arse

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Christofuh, May 23, 2009.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

From the front, it's godawful. A four-door sedan does not look right with that kind of slanted nose. From the back, it's sort of a bastard, but considerably less awful.

Without a rear engine, though, I sort of just don't really get it.

2. briancl

briancl Senior member

Without a rear engine, though, I sort of just don't really get it.

Because it makes sense?

Porsche's best vehicle has the engine in the middle.

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Porsche's iconic vehicle remains the 911. It is so because it is a legend on the track. And one of the things that makes it fast on the track also makes the thing a bitch to drive if you don't know what you're doing - that is the rear engine and the need to stay on the gas or you'll spin the thing.

I understand the place in the lineup for a more affordable Porsche, even if that means putting the engine in the middle. The Boxster and the Cayman make sense because they're still fairly-no-nonsense sports cars without a lot of compromises. Having a mid-engine is a slight departure from history, but it's still a sports car, through and through.

Making a 4-door sedan with a front engine and slapping a Porsche badge on it is cynical, ostentatious, and stupid. I'm not saying that they should have put a rear engine in a sedan, I'm saying they shouldn't have made a sedan (or an SUV) at all. Porsche can do what they want and profit where they want to, but that doesn't mean that I won't think anyone driving down the road in one of these monstrosities isn't a giant douchebag.

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

Porsche's iconic vehicle remains the 911. It is so because it is a legend on the track. And one of the things that makes it fast on the track also makes the thing a bitch to drive if you don't know what you're doing - that is the rear engine and the need to stay on the gas or you'll spin the thing.

I understand the place in the lineup for a more affordable Porsche, even if that means putting the engine in the middle. The Boxster and the Cayman make sense because they're still fairly-no-nonsense sports cars without a lot of compromises. Having a mid-engine is a slight departure from history, but it's still a sports car, through and through.

Making a 4-door sedan with a front engine and slapping a Porsche badge on it is cynical, ostentatious, and stupid. I'm not saying that they should have put a rear engine in a sedan, I'm saying they shouldn't have made a sedan (or an SUV) at all. Porsche can do what they want and profit where they want to, but that doesn't mean that I won't think anyone driving down the road in one of these monstrosities isn't a giant douchebag.

Porsche wouldn't be making anything right now if it weren't for those douchebags.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

From the title I thought we were going to be treated to a hot-rodded Aztec.

The Panamera isn't so bad. Not that I'd buy one.