• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ufc 84

Brian SD

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the Kim Dong Hyun fight? It was murderous.
4h5cwk.jpg
The Wanderlei fight was a disappointment, IMO. Machida didn't disappoint - Tito looked like a ragdoll out there.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i loved how tito was getting so angry. buddy hes hitting you, clearly youre the one with the problem not him.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Machida, for one reason or another, hasn't garnered a huge reputation yet. I love his orthodox Karate style. He's beaten a few big name guys like Rich Franklin and ** Penn, and he hasn't lost once, yet for some reason he's not a household name amongst MMA fans. Perhaps because of his lack of English skills?

To continue on the language front, it's interesting his name is being pronounced "Muh-SHEE-duh" and not "MAH-chee-dah," as it would be in his family's native language of Japanese. Machida is a fairly common Japanese name. I wonder if it's just Portuguese influence at work and he actually goes by that in his home country, or if it's just an American-ized pronunciation.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was actually wondering why he had a japanese sounding name when i think hes from brazil? is he part japanese or something?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i was actually wondering why he had a japanese sounding name when i think hes from brazil? is he part japanese or something?
His father was a Shotokan Karate master (of course, Japanese). I'm not sure about his mother but he's definitely not full Japanese. There's a huge population of Japanese in Brazil. Ryoto (Lyoto) a Japanese first name as well.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
didnt know that. i was also told by a korean girl that mushita means cool/handsome or something like that in korean lol.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was very happy to watch the fight and see the results.
I mean there was some great techique being displayed.
GREAT CARD.
I am very very for Silva he needed that win. Jardine is a cool cat but he has a lot of time left to get where he needs to be.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
didnt know that. i was also told by a korean girl that mushita means cool/handsome or something like that in korean lol.

That is true...Mu-Shid-Da would be the proper pronounciation.

This was by far the best PPV in quite some time. Every single fight ended in a KO/Sub except for the Tito fight.
I also was able to see the Dong Hyun Kim fight. He's from my wife's home town of Busan. He will be a force in the WW division. I was glad to see that he took full advantage of UFC allowing elbows. I've never seen fighters from other orgs that doesnt allow elbows use it this effectively.
But I would like to see how his grappling game is. I've seen some of his fights in DEEP and I have never seen him get tested on the ground.

shimmyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Machida, for one reason or another, hasn't garnered a huge reputation yet. I love his orthodox Karate style. He's beaten a few big name guys like Rich Franklin and ** Penn, and he hasn't lost once, yet for some reason he's not a household name amongst MMA fans. Perhaps because of his lack of English skills?

I think it's for the fact that to the untrained eye it looks like he runs away throughout his entire fight. Also I believe 90% of your MMA fans just like pure violence and finishing fights. I have all of Machida's UFC fights and the majority of time he doesn't finish fights. He's a go for the decision guy. I'm learning to appreciate his style though. The commentators put it best, he just moves out of the way when you swing. Why take a straight punch to the face? made me lol.

Oh and M@T their are torrents available. I'm too lazy to read the Terms of use for this forum, but i'm going to guess like most other forums talk of torrents is frowned upon.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimmyt
Oh and M@T their are torrents available. I'm too lazy to read the Terms of use for this forum, but i'm going to guess like most other forums talk of torrents is frowned upon.
It's OK...I Am The Powers That Be
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok finally saw it (wow, this one took a while). Penn looked awesome. Sharp, crisp. Outclassed Sherk. Was glad to be wrong in this poll. He gave Sherk an interesting dilemma...Sherk's natural instinct would have been wrestle-takedown-go from there, but suspect he did not trust himself on the matt with **'s JJ. His only real advantage was cardio, so guess he decided to try and draw a boxing match into the 5th round, and as it turned out he got battered in a striking match instead. How awesome is this photo btw:
39222439.jpg
Other fights... Sorry, but I am not a Machida fan. I appreciate his skill, but find him Tim-Sylvia-boring to watch. Sylvia uses long arms to stay out of range, hops in, strikes, outpoints. Machida uses lightning fast footwork to stay out of striking range, hops in, strikes, outpoints. I totally appreciate just how hard that is to do, but at the same time, it isn't making for exciting viewing. Wanderlei won the way Wanderlei wins. Good to see him winning again. Thiago Silva is a beast. And that is my wrapup. I'd call it an 8/10 night. AC - you havent weighed in yet....

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Looks like only one of us called the main event too.
Thank you, thank you very much.
smile.gif

Awesome card. It had everything: Great tactical fights (Penn/Sherk, Machida/Ortiz), incredible changes in momentum (T. Silva/Mendes, Reljic/Gouveia), dudes getting KTFO (W. Silva/Jardine, Carwin/Wellisch), and slick submissions (Palhares/Salaverry, Yoshida/Koppenhaver). I give it a 9/10, it would have been 10/10 if Tito had managed to pull off the triangle at the end of the third round.

My observations:

** is clearly the best lightweight in the world, and probably the biggest threat to GSP at 170 and under. He had a great strategy to pace himself and conserve energy. I have read that Sherk wanted to stand with ** and take him down later in the fight, but at some point Sherk should have realized he was losing the fight and changed his game plan.

Wandy is back with a vengeance. Did anyone catch him holding Jardine's neck and pounding him in the head? Brutal. He's behind a few other fighters for a title shot, but I hope to see Silva-Rampage III sometime down the road.

Machida is a nightmare matchup for anyone at 205. The difference between him and Tim Sylvia is that Tim has a huge size advantage over his opponents, and Machida is usually the smaller man in the fight. He's not the most exciting fighter if you are a fan of Wandy-style beatdowns, but you can't deny his skills. I don't know how much longer Dana White can deny him a title shot.

UFC 85 in less than two weeks!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yah, I am certainly not denying Machida's skills - he is amazing. As someone who spends a lot of time in the gloves, I can testify to just how ******* hard it is to not be where the punches are coming. At the same time...it doesnt make for particularly entertaining PPVs, which may well be a career limiter for him.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
yah, I am certainly not denying Machida's skills - he is amazing. As someone who spends a lot of time in the gloves, I can testify to just how ******* hard it is to not be where the punches are coming. At the same time...it doesnt make for particularly entertaining PPVs, which may well be a career limiter for him.

I have to disagree with you here. He makes for remarkable viewing, especially if you have spent time boxing and doing traditional Kung Fu or Karate. He shows how a lot of the techniques and strategy can be used in MMA. I keep on reviewing his fight tapes, and the guy is just brilliant to watch. His timing is impeccable, and he has power too. Not to mention that the man has some serious submissions.

I think that his main problem is that, for the most part, MMA fans are not the most educated fans in the world. I mean, I am crap at basketball, but I at least have a rudimentary understanding of controlling the clock, different types of defenses and offenses, etc... My guess is that the average MMA fan has never trained in a martial art of any type, and don't actually understand much about the sport apart from the fact that two dudes are swinging. Me, I find ground-and-pound to be pretty tedious to watch, especially when it is obvious that the guy on the bottom doesn't pose any danger from the guard, but you always hear fans oohing and ahhhing every time a punch lands from above.

I do hope that Machida gets a title shot. Machida vs Rampage would make for a really interesting matchup, and not necessarily one that favors Rampage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads