• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ufc 83

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trueforest
Although I vouched for GSP, I don't think his wrestling is "easily on par" with the Canadian team's in terms of skill. Just isn't true. If it was, don't you think he would've tried out for the Olympics?

After all, easily on par means his skill level would be good enough so that extra training is not required.

Well the Canadian Wrestling team said it, I'm just repeating it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
On a side note, the bar where I watched the UFC PPV (Buffalo Billiards) was also showing the Calzaghe-Hopkins boxing match. There were three to four times as many TVs tuned into UFC, which shows the direction both sports are moving.
One was PPV the other HBO, it sounds more like sound economics on the bars part. I dont think MMA will over shadow boxing in the long run.

Originally Posted by Brad
Do any of you all have a link to the fight? I can't seem to find one.
Try searching OVGuide.com

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
(Starnes, McCarthy, Lutter after the first round) didn't come to fight.

That fight should be career ending for Starnes.

3/10. Very weak card.

Originally Posted by onion
First ** Penn has to get through Sean "The Steroid Freak" Sherk....

UFC84 looks awesome. Penn/Sherk, Wandy/Jardine, Tito/Machida.

Wow.

Originally Posted by Brad
Do any of you all have a link to the fight? I can't seem to find one.

Just download the full thing via the torrent.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
First ** Penn has to get through Sean "The Steroid Freak" Sherk....
Yes, I should have added that a superfight with GSP assumes that Penn beats Sherk. I have Penn by TKO in the second.
Originally Posted by the neon fruit supermaket
One was PPV the other HBO, it sounds more like sound economics on the bars part. I dont think MMA will over shadow boxing in the long run.
That's probably right, but the demographics (younger people favor MMA, older people favor boxing) doesn't look too good for boxing.
Originally Posted by the neon fruit supermaket
When Machida beats Tito they're seriously going to have to give him a title shot. Jardine is going to take Wandy.
If Jardine wins, he gets the next title shot. Machida won't get within sniffing distance of a title shot unless he starts finishing opponents consistently. UFC politics being what they are, Chuck is likely to get the title shot after Jardine (or the next one, if Jardine loses) if he beats Rashad at UFC 85.

Reaction score
I dont question that boxing needs to restructure itself, bad fights/ters, poor promoting/ters, every fight seems like a 3 way rematch soap opera. But for pugilism fans it offers a different experience, one that I dont think really competes directly with MMA.

Machida is about 4 fights away from having to contend, by then the musical chairs they play w/the title will have to allow for fresh blood. Jardine for some reason strikes me a fighter who gets used for tune up fights because he's consistently underrated.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
That fight should be career ending for Starnes.
Lots going on here...

UFC says they fired him

Starnes says he resigned

Rumors say he spent the fight backpedaling in protest to the UFC's fighter salaries, notably its refusal to pay his medical bills.

His gym has called a press conference on Wednesday.

Interesting.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chris Leben has got to feel ashamed for losing to Starnes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
UFC 84 may be looking pretty awesome, but 85 is struggling. Undercard is ok, but no main event to speak of. Been one of those cursed cards. First Rua's knee put an end to a big name showdown with Chuck. Enter Rashad 'Yawn' Evans to fill the slot. No biggie. Chuck vs anyone = sales. Ryo Chonan disappeared next. Presumed dead. Down another name fighter. Now Chuck has pulled out with a hamstring injury, leaving Evans vs little-known James Irwin as a pretty uninspiring main event. Apparently they will add in Bisping v Leben, which still isnt really likely to be prying fifty bucks outta too many people....but since it is in London, Bisping should give ticket sales a shot in the arm. Commentary to the effect of 'dont even bother trying to make this PPV Dana' around the net.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Starnes ran around like an idiot in protest to low pay and the UFC not paying his medical bills. I'm not saying it wasn't a douchey move, but it was his last fight and he wasn't just being a *****, he was purposefully trying to ruin the fight. I feel bad for his opponent, though, who trained for months for a real fight and didn't get what he deserved.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article indicates that Starnes was injured, not protesting his treatment by the UFC, in his non-fight with Quarry. I might be inclined to believe him if he didn't have a history of quitting fights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads