• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Udeshi London-James Bond Cocktail Cuff Shirt

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About two years ago, here on SF, I asked about the kind of cuffs that James Bond wore in the movie Dr. No. The name of the cuff, I found out, is a Cocktail Cuff or also referred to as a turnback and was originally offered by Turnbull & Asser of London. However, T&A no longer offers them. gdl203 suggested that I check out a Mayfair tailor named Oscar Udeshi. I was in London recently so I decided to stop by his shop on 8 Davies Street. It is quit small but immaculate and efficient. He offers some ready to wear shirts but most of his work is MTM or bespoke shirts and tailored clothing. He has a shop in Milan and workrooms in Italy to fabricate his apparel. Oscar Udeshi has a very interesting background and I enjoyed talking with him in his shop. Here is a little bit of his background:

Udeshi is an active member of the British menswear industry and was elected youngest chairman of the British Menswear Guild in 2008. He became a board member of the UK Textile and Fashion Association in 2009. He also writes regular columns for the two industry magazines Drapers and Menswear Buyer.

Udeshi originally wanted to study architecture at university, but his father preferred a law degree. He compromised on economics at the London School of Economics. After completing his degree, Udeshi embarked on a career as a banker in the City and in Frankfurt. However, after a car crash, Udeshi decided to re-evaluate his path and decided to complete a masters degree in philosophy.
While working in the city, he was looking for clothes that would make up his ideal wardrobe. Unable to find them, he had all his clothes made to his designs and specification. Still unhappy with the results, Udeshi left the finance industry, choosing to study Design and Fashion at Central Saint Martin's and Parsons School of Design, where he trained under one of the last remaining bespoke shirtmakers of Jermyn Street.

Here is also an interview with him http://www.muddyclay.com/2010/08/20/...-oscar-udeshi/

So, back to me....I went for a Cocktail cuff shirt and tried on the RTW. He suggested that for about 25 pounds more he could do MTM with any combination of fabric, cuffs and collar. He has very strong opinions about these and their fit but if you have a preference he will adjust. So, exactly a month later my shirt arrived today via FedEx. Total price including shipping 177 Pounds.

I'm looking forward to wearing it for holiday cocktail parties.

udeshiwrapper.jpg

udeshicuff.jpg

Udeshicollar.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few things from him, all great stuff. He has an account here too, though doesn't post very often.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I wore his shirt yesterday. The cuff takes a bit of getting used to, but it feels and fits great!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try some of his tailored clothing next time, however I don't think I would go for the house style slanted jacket pockets on everything. I believe he would offer a horizontal pocket option if a customer insisted upon it. Does anyone know for sure? We never discussed suits or jacket details with Oscar.

Matt S

Reaction score
The shirt is very nice, though these cocktail cuffs aren't exactly like Bond's cuffs. If you compare these cuffs to a point collar, Bond's cuffs were more like a spread collar. From my point of view, saying that all cocktail cuffs are the same is like saying all turn-down collars are the same. Spread collars and point collar work on a similar principle, both can be very nice, but there is a difference. On the Dick Van Dyke Show, Dick Van Dyke wore cocktail cuffs just like these.
Though I would never wear it, I do really like the collar design.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the price points for suiting/jackets? Really liking the look of some of these.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
What are the price points for suiting/jackets? Really liking the look of some of these.

I recall the RTW shirts being around £150, and the suits in the £750 and above range.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of much of his merchandise when I checked out the shop a few weeks ago -- it was all a bit too sleek and RLBL-esque for my tastes. They tend to do things 'differently' than most tailoring shops (i.e., only offering one type of cuff, slanted pockets, etc) and are certainly trying to form a house look, but it just seemed to lack style.

I mean, the price points are completely different, but stroll down to Rubinacci down the road on Mount and you'll see rich fabrics, beautiful colours and wonderful textures in the clothes and the shop -- Udeshi seemed a bit cold in comparison.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The shirt is very nice, though these cocktail cuffs aren't exactly like Bond's cuffs.

Oscar Udeshi is a huge fan of James Bond and has a book shelf in his shop with many Bond books. He actually pulled some down while we spoke and pointed to various still photos from the movies. He explained that the Cocktail cuffs made for the movies were T&A so he adjusted the design so that he wasn't doing a literal copy of another London maker.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Have T & A phased out the turnback very recently? Got some stock specials (different size body to collar) from them about 4 months back and they were all turnback. They had the choice of single (triple button), french and turnback (double button). I'd be amazed if they phased out their signature cuff

Merlino

Reaction score
I like the look of this cuff very much and own a couple of shirts with. However, the edge of the cuff tends to get caught behind the edge of the jacket sleeve. Because of this, I switched back to single cuffs and only wear the cocktail cuffs when also wearing a sweater.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you wear this shirt you become James Bond.

I swear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads