• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ubiquity

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
How much does seeing someone else in a similar, or the exact same piece as you affect your appreciation of said piece?

For me ubiquity is the appeal of certain items (501xx, converse,hanes t-shirts et cetera), but with other pieces seeing someone else wear it, or someone else wear it almost exactly like I am wearing it puts a sour taste in my mouth.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. It really depends. A huge part of why a lot of us buy the clothes we buy is because they are commodities and are more unique than other clothes. That being said, I think it's kind of fun when you see someone wearing a designer piece that you own, or something similar, maybe a different color way, or a cardigan with the same print as a vest or t, etc...I would probably only find it annoying if someone was wearing the same piece as me in a similar way, and even then the likelihood of this happening alone would probably just make me more incredulously excited than anything else.

On the other hand, when it comes to cheap stuff, beater pieces etc, that can be kind of bothersome, especially when you see some douchey looking guy (groups of them are the worst) wearing the same slacks or button-down you own...yeah that sucks. But I suppose it should be expected with certain brands. *cough j crew*

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I won't buy another pair of converse in my life for example because the design bores me to death after seeing every single kid on the block wear them, it's not a bad design by any means but like I won't watch the same movie 500 times over, I don't want to see more of something that I see so often already.

I also think that in knowing whats ubiquious you can try to be different, innovative and original in what you wear, so its something you can use to your advantage. I don't think people should be different just for the sake of different, but intentionally breaking social constraints and trying to push yourself out of the norm is a good mindset to have, unfortunately it is common for people associate this with going from one subculture/trend to another.

So yes, definitely, ubiquity has a huge part in what I wear and how I see fashion, I think it is also a business dream, for obvious reasons.

Oxnard

Reaction score
this has never been a problem for me. Living in north carolina, no one has any idea what I am wearing, brands such as Band of Outsiders, Engineered Garments, Kicking Mule Workshop, etc. are pretty much completely unknown. There is one store in downtown chapel hill that sells rag and bone, but yea I have never seen anyone wearing anything I own, nevermind even knowing that the brands I wear even exist. I actually wouldn't mind if I saw people wearing similar brands to myself, I wouldn't feel like such an outsider then in terms of fashion appreciation. At the local community college I am currently attending, they all just assume I am a homosexual.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I depends on the brands regarding how I feel. Some brands are ubiquitous by their very nature and others are only known by select few. I saw a guy in Noah trench that I have the other day and I almost ran him down to see where he got it from. Some brands are shorthand or codes for certain values and lifestyles and when you see someone wearing something that only a few people know about you acknowledge each other out of respect and keep it moving.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
red wings, sperrys, clark db's (to add to your list)... thats why i opt for a 5x more expensive designer version that looks mostly the same to distinguish myself :
sarcasm.gif
:

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by London
I depends on the brands regarding how I feel. Some brands are ubiquitous by their very nature and others are only known by select few. I saw a guy in Noah trench that I have the other day and I almost ran him down to see where he got it from. Some brands are shorthand or codes for certain values and lifestyles and when you see someone wearing something that only a few people know about you acknowledge each other out of respect and keep it moving.
This is good stuff. Essentially we all must conform to some mode of dress (though it's nice to put a personal spin on it), so it's just about conforming to the right one for you. I've become really happy with the whole Atelier/SZ aesthetic, partially because it is rare but there will still be people out there wearing the same brands in similar ways. If I see someone else in the states wearing a Julius jacket I know that we probably have similar cultural tastes in other areas as well; it's a fun secret handshake almost. Robbie I hate to break it to you, but when you wear simple Americana you will run in to other people doing the same all the time.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It strikes me as idiotic that some people would confuse unique/scarce with stylish. At best, unique can only be surprising, but usually it is not. **** a CP, give me chucks. Perfectly applying a standard is usually better than straying into novelty.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
airportlobby, you don't have to hate on on a brand to big up another brand. I own both, and they both serve different purposes and are good for what they are.

clarity

Reaction score
I went to a small family dinner this weekend. My dad, uncle, grandpa and two cousins and one of their gfs were wearing sperrys. Ah, the south. One of them actually said I should have worn mine. hm...

I don't really notice or care if somebody else wears something I'm wearing, or something similar. Maybe a rl polo once in a while I spot on somebody else. *shrug*

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I love wearing **** that was never available in this country or limited to one shop at that.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
How much does seeing someone else in a similar, or the exact same piece as you affect your appreciation of said piece?

For me ubiquity is the appeal of certain items (501xx, converse,hanes t-shirts et cetera), but with other pieces seeing someone else wear it, or someone else wear it almost exactly like I am wearing it puts a sour taste in my mouth.

If, as certain people say, jeans represent rugged American individualism, too late. That is, most of anyone only ever came to 'know' jeans as a commodity after being mass produced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads