Tyrwhitt Shoe Quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JR_Rider, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mbc

mbc Senior member

For all of you all who have yet to order a pair of Tyrwhitt shoes, I would recommend against it. I wore my wholecuts today for the first time, and let's just say that I was underwhelmed with how well they held up, at least with the innner part of the shoe. The insole of the shoe is very poorly made and mine showing major signs of wear after only one day. For a shoe that is suppossed to be valued at around $300,the construction isn't any better than a Cole Haan, for example. I will take pictures tommorrow, because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Can you post the numbers/text from the inside lining of the shoe, if there are any?

2. Lino

Lino Senior member

I wrote to TM Lewin to ask who made their shoes, here is the answer from TM Lewin:

"Our shoes are made by an English company in India, whose name I cannot disclose, but if you order your size via an English conversion then you should get the perfect fit."

For those into marketing copy notice this little twist in the details of the copy:

From TM Lewin's site: "Our selection of shoes owes its heritage to the legendary skills of the Northampton shoemaker."

As oposed to this from CT: These beautiful calf leather shoes are crafted in Northampton, from cutting the leather to antique finishing by hand.

Now, mind you, there is nothing that says a person in India can not do just as good a job as a guy in England making shoes"”given equal equipment and materials. That said, since labor would be lower, I'd want the shoe to be priced as such.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The last shape looks pretty different too.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I wrote to TM Lewin to ask who made their shoes, here is the answer from TM Lewin:

"Our shoes are made by an English company in India, whose name I cannot disclose, but if you order your size via an English conversion then you should get the perfect fit."

For those into marketing copy notice this little twist in the details of the copy:

From TM Lewin's site: "Our selection of shoes owes its heritage to the legendary skills of the Northampton shoemaker."

As oposed to this from CT: These beautiful calf leather shoes are crafted in Northampton, from cutting the leather to antique finishing by hand.

Now, mind you, there is nothing that says a person in India can not do just as good a job as a guy in England making shoes"”given equal equipment and materials. That said, since labor would be lower, I'd want the shoe to be priced as such.

Significant portion of Loake shoes are made in India, it seems.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Disappointing. I was thinking of getting a pair, since wholecuts are probably the only way I'd get a medallion on my shoes. The simplicity of the rest of the design makes the medallion not seem as showy as on brogues. JR, I would definitely tell them your disappointment in these shoes. If they get enough complaints they may consider switching to another, better shoe maker for the next season.
    And with the trouble of going through sizes, and shipping internationally I won't be ordering from CT anytime soon.
    If you'll look back in a few threads, quite a few people recommend against the black Chelsea actually, and say the brown ones are better quality leather. Also, they have UK sizes converted to US on the site now when you select USA as your country.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any chance of some pics of the shoes after wear?

7. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

Sure. But I won't be able to take the pictures and post them until Sunday, more than likely.

8. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

Also, they have UK sizes converted to US on the site now when you select USA as your country.

Does this mean it is now ok to order your actual US shoe size from them? I seem to recall seeing US sizes listed on their site even when people were still saying to size down 1-1.5 sizes.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Does this mean it is now ok to order your actual US shoe size from them? I seem to recall seeing US sizes listed on their site even when people were still saying to size down 1-1.5 sizes.
    They always did have US sizes listed. The problem was that their conversion was (UK - 0.5 = US), and in reality it should have been closer to (UK - 1 = US). I doubt they've changed their formula, but they may be on different lasts or from a different maker now.

10. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

When you say "they," do you mean Loake, CT or TM Lewin?

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

When you say "they," do you mean Loake, CT or TM Lewin?
    I thought we were talking about CT. I have no experience with Loake branded or TML.

12. Strokeman

Strokeman Active Member

Any pictures for us JR? [​IMG]

13. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

If you'll look back in a few threads, quite a few people recommend against the black Chelsea actually, and say the brown ones are better quality leather. Also, they have UK sizes converted to US on the site now when you select USA as your country.

I believe there were recommendations for brown over black and not against black. The leather wasn't even my biggest problem with the shoe, more the cut and style which is hard to decipher over a web page.

Yes I used the size conversion, did it work - no.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I believe there were recommendations for brown over black and not against black. The leather wasn't even my biggest problem with the shoe, more the cut and style which is hard to decipher over a web page.

Yes I used the size conversion, did it work - no.

I actually have recommended several times against buying the CT black chelsea boots (or any other CT shoes for that matter). But the "good deals" continuously engineered by the marketing folks at CT seem to lure people here like the sirens lured Ulysses's men... [​IMG] I advise you all to tie yourselves to the mast! [​IMG]

15. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Nope, several people recommended against the black boots, including me. As an owner of both colors, I second the notion that the quality of the leather on the brown boots really is superior.......I used the size conversion and it worked for me.