1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tyrwhitt Shoe Quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JR_Rider, Aug 23, 2006.

1. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior Member

For all of you all who have yet to order a pair of Tyrwhitt shoes, I would recommend against it. I wore my wholecuts today for the first time, and let's just say that I was underwhelmed with how well they held up, at least with the innner part of the shoe. The insole of the shoe is very poorly made and mine showing major signs of wear after only one day. For a shoe that is suppossed to be valued at around $300,the construction isn't any better than a Cole Haan, for example. I will take pictures tommorrow, because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Really? I'll be interested to see. AFAIK the wholecuts are from a new line (right?) and may be from a different maker or made to a different standard than the older Loake shoes. My boots are still holding up very well - wore them a few times last week and this weekend actually - though I do have insoles in them because of the size problem I had. We have heard of ongoing concerns with the leather quality, especially of the black non-calf shoes. I have no experience with those myself, but the brown seems quite good for the price.

BTW, their customer service is really good, so if you're dissatisfied, don't hesitate to send them back.

3. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

For all of you all who have yet to order a pair of Tyrwhitt shoes, I would recommend against it. I wore my wholecuts today for the first time, and let's just say that I was underwhelmed with how well they held up, at least with the innner part of the shoe. The insole of the shoe is very poorly made and mine showing major signs of wear after only one day. For a shoe that is suppossed to be valued at around $300,the construction isn't any better than a Cole Haan, for example. I will take pictures tommorrow, because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

You have one of the new batch, correct? The seamless ones with the large medallion?

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

Are these the Loake Norwich? If so, I have a pair (not rebranded CT) and they've held up very well so far. Not the best shoe I own, but a solid workhorse nonetheless.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Well, that's a relief. One less shoe to get tempted by [​IMG]

6. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

Well, that's a relief. One less shoe to get tempted by [​IMG]

my sentiments EXACTLY! Thanks for the heads-up JR_Rider. You are like the guy back in 'Nam who walks ahead of the rest to very carefully makes sure there's no landmines in the grass.

7. Tibo

Tibo Senior Member

On a similar note, does any of you have seen the latest TM Lewin catalogue ? It features a "1 pair for £180, 2 for £190" offer ...

8. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior Member

Really? I'll be interested to see. AFAIK the wholecuts are from a new line (right?) and may be from a different maker or made to a different standard than the older Loake shoes. My boots are still holding up very well - wore them a few times last week and this weekend actually - though I do have insoles in them because of the size problem I had. We have heard of ongoing concerns with the leather quality, especially of the black non-calf shoes. I have no experience with those myself, but the brown seems quite good for the price.

BTW, their customer service is really good, so if you're dissatisfied, don't hesitate to send them back.

Their return policy on shoes isn't quite as good, as their policy on shirts. Pretty much, once you wear them outside, there are no returns. And I am not very worried about it, overall I really like the shoe, I just thought you all should know what you are getting.

9. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior Member

On a similar note, does any of you have seen the latest TM Lewin catalogue ? It features a "1 pair for £180, 2 for £190" offer ...

From what I hear, Lewin's shoes are even worse. Apparently they are made in India with poor materials. And I did indeed purchase the Fall 2006 Wholecuts w/ the large medallion.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

From what I hear, Lewin's shoes are even worse. Apparently they are made in India with poor materials. And I did indeed purchase the Fall 2006 Wholecuts w/ the large medallion.

Quite a few English shoes have components made in India.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Are these the Loake Norwich? If so, I have a pair (not rebranded CT) and they've held up very well so far. Not the best shoe I own, but a solid workhorse nonetheless.

Yes sir, me too. Very good workhorse shoes. From what I could tell at the Tyrwhitt store, the new wholecuts are simply restyled Norwichs on the same last. Maybe JR got a bad pair.

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

Quite a few English shoes have components made in India.

As does England itself [​IMG]

13. Lino

Lino Senior Member

But the new CT whole cut looks like nothing offered by Loake. It does looks Tricker`s Harrow though:

[​IMG]

The CT Whole Cut:
    [​IMG]

Tricker's be CT's new shoes source?

14. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior Member

I followed some advice here and got their black chelsea boots.
    Big mistake, they were itty bitty looking, too pointy, and frankly I looked like I was prancing around in leather hooves - overall quality just wasn't that great. And with the trouble of going through sizes, and shipping internationally I won't be ordering from CT anytime soon.

15. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Tricker's be CT's new shoes source?

I doubt it. In any event, the medallions are clearly different, so the shoe isn't a rebadged tricker's harrow.