• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyrwhitt shirt - absurd sleeve shrinkage?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this Tyrwhitt shirt hanging in my closet for a few months now, never worn it except to try on. I noticed the sleeves were looking a bit funny but thought I was imagining. But now I just tried it on and the sleeves have gone from 35" to about 30" ... wtf? Remember never been washed. Is this possible or did I get a defective shirt and not realize it?

edit: it was exposed to moisture and heat just from the humid summer ... but none of my other shirts display this bizarre shrinkage

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
I've had this Tyrwhitt shirt hanging in my closet for a few months now, never worn it except to try on. I noticed the sleeves were looking a bit funny but thought I was imagining. But now I just tried it on and the sleeves have gone from 35" to about 30" ... wtf? Remember never been washed. Is this possible or did I get a defective shirt and not realize it?

edit: it was exposed to moisture and heat just from the humid summer ... but none of my other shirts display this bizarre shrinkage

A humid summer alone isn't going to shrink a sleeve 5 inches. Especially since shrinkage has to do with tumbling process not necessarily the wet to hang dry step.

I guess certain clothes that you aren't wearing for that season should be covered, packaged, put a plastic over it to conserve it.

JMP

Reaction score
They are awesome at taking merchandise back, even after it has been worn and washed.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
I've had this Tyrwhitt shirt hanging in my closet for a few months now, never worn it except to try on. I noticed the sleeves were looking a bit funny but thought I was imagining. But now I just tried it on and the sleeves have gone from 35" to about 30" ... wtf?
You did not buy the shirt you tried on.

Paulo100

Reaction score
Just send it back. As has already been mentioned they will replace it without hesitation. I know as I have sent things back to them with nothing wrong at all, just decided I didn't like it.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosnapsandgo
Especially since shrinkage has to do with tumbling process not necessarily the wet to hang dry step.

You might want to explain that.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosnapsandgo
A humid summer alone isn't going to shrink a sleeve 5 inches. Especially since shrinkage has to do with tumbling process not necessarily the wet to hang dry step.

Normal washing does cause shrinkage, just not as much or as fast as tumble-drying. Most shirts have an allowance for shrinkage built-in, but 5" of shrinkage is totally abnormal, even if the fabric had undergone no shrinking prior to sewing I wouldn't have thought it would shrink that much. I would certainly see about returning it because that's far from normal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads