• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyrwhitt/Loake Shoes

cmpatti

Reaction score
I'm looking at these shoes which are $147 in Tyrwhitt's 50% off sale:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/product.as...ProCode=MPSBSB

They appear to be the Loake "Norwitch" from Loake's "1880" collection. A couple of questions:

(1) I've read some criticisms of the quality of the leather used in the Tyrwhitt/Loake shoes, but these are specially billed on the Tyrwhitt site as "calf leather" and are somewhat higher-priced than the regular line. Anyone have any experience?

(2) Any thoughts about the styling?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I own 2 pairs CT shoes. Both Loak 1880 models. Leather quality is much worse than other top end shoes that I own, but they are good enough for daily office wear. But I wear my brown cap toes with jeans when i go clubbing. I get many complements from ladies.

2) they look fine to me. If I saw someone wearing those shoes out on a street I would look at them for sure!

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the Norwitch, purchased from Pediwear. The leather is of good quality, comparable to the leather on my A-Es. As for the styling, they're a bit more aestetically pleasing, at least to my eye, than the offerings at A-E. They're something of a poor man's Weymouth, a few notches down in the style department, still nothing to sneeze at.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I own the Norwitch, purchased from Pediwear. The leather is of good quality, comparable to the leather on my A-Es. As for the styling, they're a bit more aestetically pleasing, at least to my eye, than the offerings at A-E. They're something of a poor man's Weymouth, a few notches down in the style department, still nothing to sneeze at.

Same here, I agree.

billiebob

Reaction score
Make sure you get the sizing right. The f width makes many people buy a full size down from their US shoe size. I did 1/2 size down, and they are comfy, but I have US E-width feet!

cmpatti

Reaction score
So if I normally take a US 10D, should I go for the regular (non "F") 9.5 US size?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went a full size down, 9.5 to 8.5.

Dill

Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the "half off sale"?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmpatti
So if I normally take a US 10D, should I go for the regular (non "F") 9.5 US size?

I have not bought the Loakes so I cannot give you direct advice.
The thinking in the sizing comments is something like this:
If you wear a 10D US, you could probably also wear a 10.5C or a 9.5E in a US shoe.

The general idea on the English shoe conversion would call for a 10D US to equal English 9.5E. Tyrwhitt/Loake does not have the E width fitting shown as available. Since you are going to be getting a fatter size, perhaps you should go down an extra half size. Expecting that your 10D US foot will fit into an English 9F. I do wish I had done that on some English sized Grensons a few moths ago. Only went down 1/2 size and had to get them in the English F, rather than E. A thin insole took care of it pretty well. But I'd rather not havae to use that.

cmpatti

Reaction score
The sizing on the Tyrwhitt site is a bit confusing. When I navigate to the page with this shoe through the 50% off page (http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/spots), the pull-down size menu shows US sizes, not UK sizes. There are also separate links for "standard fitting" and "G fitting." So what is recommended for a US 10D--should I go with my normal US 10 "regular fitting"?

billiebob

Reaction score
Tyrwhitt converts UK to US sizes by going only 1/2 size up. Therefore if you wish to size 1 size down as many do you would order 1/2 size US smaller than your US size from the web site.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the styling quite a bit...very nice. As for leather, my 1880's Loake (through Tyrwhitt) aren't as nice as my AE's, but they certainly aren't of poor quality. They don't seem to want to take antiqing as well as other shoes I have, but that hardly matters if you're buying black. At that price, I say 'go for it, dude!'

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Tyrwhitt converts UK to US sizes by going only 1/2 size up. Therefore if you wish to size 1 size down as many do you would order 1/2 size US smaller than your US size from the web site.
Agreed. If you normally take a US 10, order a US 9.5, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads