Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tyrwhitt equivalents

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheBee'sKnees, Apr 14, 2004.

1. TheBee'sKnees

TheBee'sKnees Member

When it comes to shirts/ties/cufflinks/etc., I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt because of its bang-for-buck ratio and the value it provides.  Good quality, generally nice fabrics, and decent cuts (especially the slim fit shirts) for great prices.
    As a result, I've loaded up in recent months (a quick shout-out to the poster who graciously provided the 50%  off link a week or so ago -- I thank you, though my wife does not) on lots and lots of Tyrwhitt wares.

So here's my point:  I'm generally a big fan of diversifying one's wardrobe, and usually hate loading up on any one marque as I've been doing here.  Also, Tyrwhitt is good , but not perfect (e.g., not enough slim fit alternatives, no button on the sleeve gauntlets, which I dislike, etc.)  So can anyone recommend a similar, preferably mail-order alternative with the same concept -- great bang for buck in the shirt/tie/links dept. (though I'd love to hear similar recommendations for shoes, suits, etc.)  Thanks for your anticipated help.

2. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I am also a big fan of CT, mostly for shirts and ties. I didn't particularly like the socks and shoes I ordered from them.

I have ordered shirts from TM Lewin, but didn't like them as much as CT. TM Lewin is similar, but just not quite as good.

I like shoes from pediwear.com.
    I also like braces from albertthurston.com

Bic

3. My View

My View Senior member

For good-value shirts, try Jantzen's Tailor - a HK-based establishment which has quite a following among members of this board. Its website allows you to specify your dimensions and choose the fabrics you want (so it's made-to-measure). Each shirt costs about US$40.00 - which is even cheaper than shirts from Charles Tyrwitt and TM Lewin during their Sale. They will then ship it to anywhere in the world to you. Do a search on this and Andy's Forum and you will see the many threads discussing about Jantzen's shirts. In terms of value, I think it's hard to beat. Does anyone here also buy things from Lands' End? They have fresh overstocks (http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/frontd...23882280127510) every Wednesday and Saturday when they offer items at a big mark-down. I think they offer very good value for money and I have bought quite a lot of things (mainly ties, but also belts, shoe-trees, shoe bags, shirts, jeans etc.) from them over the past few years.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

Hilditch and key is better in quality and value for money