• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Types of Cotton

VooDooATL

Reaction score
OK, so despite dressing myself for a good number of years I had a question. I was thumbing a sale rack when I felt a shirt that almost had a microfiber type feel to it, you know what I am talking about. But it wasn't microfiber (or real silk for that matter) but a cotton RL polo line shirt. Listed as 100% cotton but it really felt great.

A nice button down stipe for $30 or so, and I decided to buy it. Now I understand wool and normally don't wear much in the button down casual but I want to understand what made this shirt feel as good as it did. I would buy more. The last part is I don't think much of the polo line as its not really my style and it is often more costly then its quality.

Can someone help me out with this?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VooDooATL
OK, so despite dressing myself for a good number of years I had a question. I was thumbing a sale rack when I felt a shirt that almost had a microfiber type feel to it, you know what I am talking about. But it wasn't microfiber (or real silk for that matter) but a cotton RL polo line shirt. Listed as 100% cotton but it really felt great.

A nice button down stipe for $30 or so, and I decided to buy it. Now I understand wool and normally don't wear much in the button down casual but I want to understand what made this shirt feel as good as it did. I would buy more. The last part is I don't think much of the polo line as its not really my style and it is often more costly then its quality.

Can someone help me out with this?

The only explanation that I can think of is that it's maybe peruvian pima cotton or one of polo's "interlock" shirts. It's just cotton that's woven in a way which makes it very soft. Many companies have similar shirts which have a very soft "hand" and feel silky but aren't microfiber or silk.

I'm not sure but I'll bet if you held your shirt up to a microfiber shirt, though similar, you could still tell the microfiber from the cotton.

VooDooATL

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, maybe I should not think about it too much. Its a nice shirt that I like for a low price. I think I recall something about a gift and a horse or something like that...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 274 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40