• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Types of coats? would this be considered a topcoat?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the different types of coats? the ones I can think of are top-coat, car-coat (which seems similar to a top-coat to me), Mackintosh, peacoat, trench, and chesterfield.

Also is the grey coat in the picture (courtesy of the seller) considered a topcoat, the measurements given list it at 33" in lenght. I am looking for something similar, with the same styling, and the slim cut, that comes down to maybe like 5" or so above the knees...

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No the one in the picture is a over coat. For it to be top coat it has t ofall bellow the knee.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
No the one in the picture is a over coat. For it to be top coat it has t ofall bellow the knee.

Ahhh I see, I was not aware of that. Is the length pretty much the only difference between a top coat and over coat?

ReJoyce

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, it is the reverse. A topcoat falls above the knee and an overcoat below.

Taxler

Reaction score
I consider a top coat to be of lighter weight than an overcoat. Otherwise, they're the same.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReJoyce
As far as I am aware, it is the reverse. A topcoat falls above the knee and an overcoat below.

Yeah your right. I must have typed it wrong.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 270 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40