• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type of Collar to Wear 2-3 buttons unbuttoned with a jacket

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of collar would I need to wear dress shirts with 2 or 3 buttons unbuttoned with a jacket/suit?

Tall and Stiff? What would that correlate to with Modern Tailor's dress shirt collar styles?

tom-ford-movies1.jpg

1_Tom-Ford.jpg

mrbig

Reaction score
The kind you'd get on a TF shirt :p seriously though, something that's not too spread, something closer to a 1.75in collar band, and quite a high collar itself.

I wouldn't be suprised if Mr Ford uses Wurkinstiffs or has 'hacked' his shirts to stand up like that all the time.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
I wouldn't be suprised if Mr Ford uses Wurkinstiffs or has 'hacked' his shirts to stand up like that all the time.

No, my stiff 2-inch high collars stand up like that without any assistance. I agree that it shouldn't be a spread collar, get something narrow. Also, keep it buttoned up to the second-to-last button, no one will want to see your chest hair.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stiff button down collars do this pretty well. If you are going MTM, be sure to get two vertical collar buttons, it will make the collar taller.

mrbig

Reaction score
Oh ok; I could never get my Dunhill shirts (with a 2" collar IIRC) to stand that way, maybe they're too spread.

I remember reading a post somewhere on shirtmaking, you don't need 2 vertical collar buttons to make the collar taller, one, properly shanked button will do. It's just the width of the collarband that matters.

If you've got a TF stockist nearby, go and measure the collarband or something, that'd help you.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still looking for recommendations on a collar type from modern tailor's site.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, this thread is making me feel angry.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy

Exactly.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of shirts from Hawes and Curtis. I never wear them but their collars sure know how to stand. H&C collars are like 0.5cm thick, and collar height range from high to omg-its-a-skyscraper high. Funny enough stiffer higher collars are the only ones close to looking good when wearing a suit without a tie.

I see nothing wrong with 2 buttons undone in a very casual environment - 3 undone is too much though.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
laugh.gif
anyone responding seriously to OP is just an enabler

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pertaining to modern tailor collars

which is better?

Classic or cutaway?

medium or tall height?

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
pertaining to modern tailor collars

which is better?

Classic or cutaway?

medium or tall height?

Large cutaway, 1-button. It's a classic spread, not actually a cutaway. The large size is about the same of most OTR shirts I have.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Large cutaway, 1-button. It's a classic spread, not actually a cutaway. The large size is about the same of most OTR shirts I have.

and stiff? or common?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads