1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Type 1 diabetes and acne

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mikeman, Aug 19, 2012.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Hey guys, I have got lots of mixed info on the subject, and was hoping some of you could weigh in on the topic.

Im 25 and have been a type 1 diabetic since I was nine. The past few years I have been extremely frustrating when it comes to trying to control my acne. Nothing too bad, but always just enough to piss me off.

I read on a few sites that it is probably hormonal acne, which makes sense, as insulin is a hormone... but I have an insulin pump and have pretty good control of my blood sugars. I also eat fairly healthy. Does anyone have an recommendations how I can try to get rid of the acne? Some way to balance the insulin hormone?

Maybe eating a very low amount of sugar and carbs? (less insulin would be needed)

Any help or things to research would be awesome. There is just so much " it could be" stuff online.

Thanks.

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Would HIGHLY recommend speaking to your endocrinologist about this, amigo.

3. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

I'm actually going in a few weeks. I was just seeing if anyone on here had info on the matter, as there are a few other diabetics on the forum.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'm a Type 1 and I still have some problems at 30. Never really tracked down a link between the two. It would not surprise me if some combination of higher insulin levels and higher tissue glucose levels contributed. I know that increased levels of sugar in tissue is what causes diabetics to have more problems with infection, seems plausible that acne bacteria could be doing the same thing.

I don't have any solid research for ya though.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

im 29, and just hit my 10th year as a type 1 diabetic. I get the occasional pimple, nothing major, but like you said...enough to piss me off. Ive never heard of a correlation between the two...ill ask my endo next time im there though. if you get any info let us know.

6. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member

I thought researcher Dr. Cordain's has a nice book about diets and acne called The Dietary Cure for Acne. He found some of the more common foods causing pimples were dairy, wheat, nuts, and chocolate if I remember correctly. If that is the case, you might try eating a paleo diet for a short while to see if that helps. Recall this article about that idea:

"Got acne? Go primal"

excerpt:

The rest of the article is at:

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/20/got-acne-go-primal/

7. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Senior member

well there are a number of products that can help your acne. the obvious one is salicylic acid which is found in most acne control products, and 2% is a good amount. for bacterial acne, go for a benzoyl peroxide treatment, which comes in 2.5, 5 or 10% values. Oxy products contain this ingredient. it's not necessary to use the highest value as long as you rub it over the areas where you have acne and do it routinely to kill the bacteria. at first your skin may not tolerate the BP b/c it can be quite harsh, so build up to it and always use a sunscreen.

also if nothing works, consult your doctor to see if you would be a good candidate for accutane. this medication stops the pores from oversecreting oils and it definitely works, but as you may well know, it has the potential for some pretty bad side effects. best of luck to you.

8. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive wanted to try this out....have you done the diet?

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Doing it on and off a few times since it's what Crossfit pushes. It's extremely hard to follow. Even more challenging do to the fact that no one can even clearly define what is acceptable on it and what is not. You give up too much for it to be a permanent lifestyle change, if you enjoy the taste of good food.

It's also based on a lot of sketchy science, but then so are most fad diets.

10. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hmm. how do you feel?

not too long ago i gave up milks, sugars, breads, soda, and processed foods. i lost almost 20 lbs in a little over 2 weeks...and actually felt great after the first week. but dammit i just love chips ahoy cookies and chocolate ice cream. :embar:

11. Jr Mouse

I'm not following the diet right now, but last time I dropped around 15 pounds. Did I feel any better? I guess, but that likely had more to do with the physiological effect of being in better shape then not eating bread.

Here's the deal, the diet is so restrictive that it becomes hard to over eat your caloric intake. You mostly focus on meats and veggies. No milk or cheeses, peanuts grains, soy, etc. Not even supposed to eat much fruit and only certain kinds of beans in moderation. Stay strict on that for a few months and anyone would drop some weight.

EDIT: You also get a brief stage of a weird cotton mouth after the first week or two. Lasts a couple days. Atkin's diets do same to people. I typically get a headache too, but don't worry it goes away.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  12. JunyaYamamoto

i don't eat any of that either, and i replaced milk with soy milk, soda/juice with selzter. as far as ice cream goes, i know the pint says 4 servings but i finish it in one sitting. so knowing my weaknesses, i never buy junk food for the home and that's how i stay healthy. all those starches/sugars flowing through your veins, thickening the blood making you all tired and wreaking havoc on your pancreas. your body does not need such a concentrated source of energy (unless you're outside all day hunting wild game). just say no to the cookie.

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

yep. i got both of those. it was awful. but only lasted a couple days at most.

i typically do my shopping on saturday for the following week, and if i buy good food, i eat it and dont eat junk. problem is at work. that damn vending machine.

14. JunyaYamamoto

i would get little snack sized portions of nuts for the job. those are perfect to sate your appetite until dinner. also drink lots of fluids, bc they help fill you up and keeps your skin hydrated.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

good advice. i think i need to plan better. make a decent comprehensive list for the grocery store. Maybe allow myself a cookie every few days. just not an entire package. ive always been horrible with portion control in every aspect of my life...booze, drugs, food, women, etc.

16. Jr Mouse

Soy milk is against Paleo. All soy products are. You can have almond milk, but only in moderation. Giving up milk was hard for me, since I put it in my coffee. Found out that heavy whipping cream (again in moderation) is acceptable.

FWIW, I mainly followed this diet because they were having a three month challenge at my gym. Otherwise, I don't think I could have stuck on it. Too restrictive and I got bored with what I was always eating. The weight loss was nice, but I am sticking with the science that says it's a byproduct of the natural reduction in caloric intake. You can loose weight eating nothing but ice-cream too, if you keep the calories down. Paleo's at the height of the fad diet bell-curve right now, but like all of them it will eventually start to fade away back into obscurity.

17. JunyaYamamoto

i love soy milk, but never tried almond. ill have to try that next time i go to trader joes.

i was watching a sugar special on i believe it was 20/20, and it said the old belief that all calories are created equal is being disproved. they are currently researching people in a closed environment where they sleep and eat inside a lab, and they are finding that sugar calories are more fattening than other types of calories. people gained more weight with sugar even though they were eating the same amount of calories.

in addition, those carbohydrates trigger fat production and LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) which eventually clog up your arteries and cause heart problems. the takeaway is you don't need the sugar. you should have less sugar in one day than what you would find in a can of soda.

from an evolutionary standpoint we are programmed to like sugary fruit because they also offered fiber and vitamins. ice cream and cookies, however, is just sugar on steroids and something that has no nutrients.

*steps off soapbox*

18. Jr Mouse

If you are getting your health and medical advice from a special on 20/20 you are doing it wrong.

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

lulz

20. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Thanks. Keep me updated, and I will also ask my doctor when I go see her next.