• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tyler Durden

Smooth Genes

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Im getting a hair cut similar to tyle durden in a couple weeks.

I like durdens clothing style as well. What are your thoughts on tyler durden?


This looks extremely bad ass.


 

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
5
"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not."

I love that movie. Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way
 

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I love that movie. Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way


yeah, it'd look goofy and/or affected on most, but Brad Pitt carries it off because, well, he's the current office holder of Western Civilisation's male ideal.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
yeah, it'd look goofy and/or affected on most, but Brad Pitt carries it off because, well, he's the current office holder of Western Civilisation's male ideal.
Another person who could carry it off would be someone like John Waters or Steve Buscemi because of their unconventional natures.
 

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Another person who could carry it off would be someone like John Waters or Steve Buscemi because of their unconventional natures.

exactly, you have to be stunningly, unquestionably studly or ultra-quirky and unique to get away with it. Anyone in between (as I suspect most of us are) should proceed with caution. That said, I definatly have a red leather jacket like this one which I bought soon after seeing the movie. I've worn it three Halloweens in a row, which is the sum total of times I have worn it.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
exactly, you have to be stunningly, unquestionably studly or ultra-quirky and unique to get away with it. Anyone in between (as I suspect most of us are) should proceed with caution. That said, I definatly have a red leather jacket like this one which I bought soon after seeing the movie. I've worn it three Halloweens in a row, which is the sum total of times I have worn it.
Also similar would be Nicholas Cage's snakeskin jacket from Wild At Heart.
 

Soph

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,149
Reaction score
8
Only in a trendy club. Then' it might be cool.

Its over the top and affected big time.

You're not going to the local starbucks or after work drinks looking like that.

--Things alot of the time look really cool in movies but don't apply in the real world

The jacket would be keen however.
 

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
2
oh .. the movie character TD.. thought the thread was referring to the other TD..
 

sonick

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
484
I rather like the leather jacket though.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,854
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way
Tyler Durden wasn't real? WTF? What are you going to tell me next? Bateman imagined his murders? There is no Santa Claus? Take your myth-busting deconstructionism somewhere else, kill-joy.
 

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Soph
Only in a trendy club. Then' it might be cool ... You're not going to the local starbucks or after work drinks looking like that.

It is perfect, however, as a uniform for starting underground fight clubs across the northeastern United States that morph into an anarchist army


Originally Posted by Manton
Tyler Durden wasn't real? WTF? What are you going to tell me next? Bateman imagined his murders? There is no Santa Claus? Take your myth-busting deconstructionism somewhere else, kill-joy.

I am Jack's sense of embrassment. Did I say he wasn't real? I meant imaginary because he gets reconstructive surgery every few years and only sleeps a few hours a night...yeah, that's it!
 

Jovan

Banned for Good
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
I find it weird and disturbing we're talking about this movie when I have terrible insomnia right now.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
The leather jacket looks very cool. Would I personally ever wear it? Probably not.
 

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
44,421
Reaction score
17,946
My wife has a jacket similar to that (it's vintage and falling apart), a little longer, the way women often wear their jacket, that is really cool. I am looking for a similar jacket for myself. Haven't find the perfect one yet, but there is a pretty cool vintage shop near my place that often has stuff that would work. I just haven't found the right fit, design and color yet. I'd wear the tee shirt as well, but probably not the pants (I wear jeans nearly exclusively) and definitely not the loafers.
 

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
6,714
Reaction score
163
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
oh .. the movie character TD.. thought the thread was referring to the other TD..

I had the same initial thought. Did you read the thing recently where he has had to stop giving seminars because he is no longer able to approach? Apparently some deep-seated type of social-anxiety disorder that he thought he had cured has returned with a vengeance.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,162
Messages
9,166,728
Members
192,551
Latest member
candinogroup

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top