1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tyler Durden

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Smooth Genes, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Smooth Genes

Smooth Genes Well-Known Member

Im getting a hair cut similar to tyle durden in a couple weeks.

I like durdens clothing style as well. What are your thoughts on tyler durden?

This looks extremely bad ass.

[​IMG]

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not."

I love that movie. Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way [​IMG]

3. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I love that movie. Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way [​IMG]

yeah, it'd look goofy and/or affected on most, but Brad Pitt carries it off because, well, he's the current office holder of Western Civilisation's male ideal.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

yeah, it'd look goofy and/or affected on most, but Brad Pitt carries it off because, well, he's the current office holder of Western Civilisation's male ideal.
    Another person who could carry it off would be someone like John Waters or Steve Buscemi because of their unconventional natures.

5. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Another person who could carry it off would be someone like John Waters or Steve Buscemi because of their unconventional natures.

exactly, you have to be stunningly, unquestionably studly or ultra-quirky and unique to get away with it. Anyone in between (as I suspect most of us are) should proceed with caution. That said, I definatly have a red leather jacket like this one which I bought soon after seeing the movie. I've worn it three Halloweens in a row, which is the sum total of times I have worn it.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

exactly, you have to be stunningly, unquestionably studly or ultra-quirky and unique to get away with it. Anyone in between (as I suspect most of us are) should proceed with caution. That said, I definatly have a red leather jacket like this one which I bought soon after seeing the movie. I've worn it three Halloweens in a row, which is the sum total of times I have worn it.
    Also similar would be Nicholas Cage's snakeskin jacket from Wild At Heart.

7. Soph

Soph Senior member

Only in a trendy club. Then' it might be cool.

Its over the top and affected big time.

You're not going to the local starbucks or after work drinks looking like that.

--Things alot of the time look really cool in movies but don't apply in the real world

The jacket would be keen however.

8. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

oh .. the movie character TD.. thought the thread was referring to the other TD..

9. sonick

sonick Senior member

I rather like the leather jacket though.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sometimes I wish I were someone's imaginary mental creation so I could dress the same way
    Tyler Durden wasn't real? WTF? What are you going to tell me next? Bateman imagined his murders? There is no Santa Claus? Take your myth-busting deconstructionism somewhere else, kill-joy.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Only in a trendy club. Then' it might be cool ... You're not going to the local starbucks or after work drinks looking like that.

It is perfect, however, as a uniform for starting underground fight clubs across the northeastern United States that morph into an anarchist army [​IMG]

Tyler Durden wasn't real? WTF? What are you going to tell me next? Bateman imagined his murders? There is no Santa Claus? Take your myth-busting deconstructionism somewhere else, kill-joy.

I am Jack's sense of embrassment. Did I say he wasn't real? I meant imaginary because he gets reconstructive surgery every few years and only sleeps a few hours a night...yeah, that's it!

12. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I find it weird and disturbing we're talking about this movie when I have terrible insomnia right now.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

The leather jacket looks very cool. Would I personally ever wear it? Probably not.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife has a jacket similar to that (it's vintage and falling apart), a little longer, the way women often wear their jacket, that is really cool. I am looking for a similar jacket for myself. Haven't find the perfect one yet, but there is a pretty cool vintage shop near my place that often has stuff that would work. I just haven't found the right fit, design and color yet. I'd wear the tee shirt as well, but probably not the pants (I wear jeans nearly exclusively) and definitely not the loafers.

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

oh .. the movie character TD.. thought the thread was referring to the other TD..

I had the same initial thought. Did you read the thing recently where he has had to stop giving seminars because he is no longer able to approach? Apparently some deep-seated type of social-anxiety disorder that he thought he had cured has returned with a vengeance.

16. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you have a rock hard six pack, go for it. Just as an aside, I had a shirt exactly like that in 7th grade... just so you know that some people out there may not read "Tyler Durden" , but "middle school geek" on your shirt choice at any rate.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually, I've read arguments supporting both that he did and did not commit the murders.

Jon.

18. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I had the same initial thought. Did you read the thing recently where he has had to stop giving seminars because he is no longer able to approach? Apparently some deep-seated type of social-anxiety disorder that he thought he had cured has returned with a vengeance.

OK, I'll bite - who is the 'other TD'?

19. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Really? I met him in person in mtl .. was not all that cool encounter .. but .. hmm .. well he is working on his book right now .. i donno .. it's only a rumors.. I find it hard to believe that he will sink like that so easly..

20. Smooth Genes

Smooth Genes Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite - who is the 'other TD'?

theres no such thing.

There can be only 1 TD

[​IMG]