• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyler Brule (Monocle) interviews Gildo Zegna (EZ)

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good example of timeless [GZ] and timely [TB] fashion.

Have to say I am rethinking PS - for business, no - tie's enough; dressing up, yes.

- M

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Good example of timeless [GZ] and timely [TB] fashion.

Have to say I am rethinking PS - for business, no - tie's enough; dressing up, yes.

- M

I disagree, in a business situation, with a TV fold, a PS is fine.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why do these lifestyle videos always incorporate schlocky atmospheric music with the narration?

Tyler Brule, unsurprisingly, has a rather homosexual voice.

he has a surprisingly milquetoast, midwest sounding voice for someone with so many accents in their surname..

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
he has a surprisingly milquetoast, midwest sounding voice for someone with so many accents in their surname..

I'd say his questions were the most milquetoast. An example of saying nothing that might upset the sponsors.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
in a business situation, with a TV fold, a PS is fine.

This could work too.

I wasn't thinking "Where's your pocket square?" when GZ was talking about building his familial empire up one floor at a time.

Nor was I thinking anything was off [except for the pocket square that needed to be re-puffed] when TB was talking about his worldly experience and view on today's fashion business.

- M

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
- well he is well travelled (ex)Canadian..

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monocle is just a glossy ad vehicle, so the lack of content and relevant questions is unsurprising. The interviewer has a typical gay Canadian voice (and face); entirely punchable. The use of three equally unsuccessful camera angles to create the impression of watching an avant-garde indy film is particularly repugnant. Zegna's lack of PS = fail, but not quite as fail as his 101 low-end diffusion lines that are now sold at K-Mart and its numerous affiliates. I see the brand headed towards the same irrelevancy that claimed Calvin Klein in the late 90s, but maybe I'm biased because every time I see another sports highlight reel commentator wearing a Zegna suit I want to throw up in my hands.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
101 low-end diffusion lines that are now sold at K-Mart and its numerous affiliates

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

Are you kidding about this? If not, eek.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Disappointing interview. Alot of wishy-washy-politically-correct-ceo-speak. Didnt learn much. The interviewers questions were silly and he didnt ask a direct question when it was needed.

The only interesting thing I learned was that they dont outsource anything, but thats strange, I didnt think they made their own shoes.

If I were interviewing him, I would ask:

Do you think you created too many lines? Which ones were you not happy with?

Whats been the biggest surprise seller in your line?

One of your company's traditions was your fabrics, do you still control the supply chain for producing fabrics for all (or most) of your lines like you used to?

I thought your name was Ermenegildo, wtf?

What is happening to made in Italy? Do you play the trick where you manufacture most of your stuff somewhere else and then ship it to Italy to finish?

Will Zegna shrink? Do you think your brand has been cheapened by growing so fast?

Etc...

Great questions. I'll never forget the exact moment that Zegna jumped the shark for me -- I was in a Filene's Basement where they were selling $50 t-shirts with "ZEGNA" emblazoned across the front in -- I kid you not -- 9" letters.

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The interviewer has a typical gay Canadian voice (and face); entirely punchable. ... every time I see another sports highlight reel commentator wearing a Zegna suit I want to throw up in my hands.
Every time I see an asshole throw up in his hands I want to punch him.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Great questions. I'll never forget the exact moment that Zegna jumped the shark for me -- I was in a Filene's Basement where they were selling $50 t-shirts with "ZEGNA" emblazoned across the front in -- I kid you not -- 9" letters.
Comedy gold.
laugh.gif
I thought PRL was putting on the water skis selling $150 t-shirts, but a giant logo takes the cake.
Originally Posted by peaklapel1089
Every time I see an asshole throw up in his hands I want to punch him.
Zegna much?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gotta admit this is getting sad.

I remember 15 years ago how I went nuts with excitement the first time I bought something Zegna, it was a sweater, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. And, as as 22 year old earning waiter money, it was.

In physics, its a principle that things move from a state of order to disorder. I guess with fashion things move from quality to made in China, Rodeo Dr to Kmart.

I will never forget the sell-out line of sell-out lines from that video: "Made in Zegna". George Carlin would love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads