Tying a longer tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ZackP, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

I went to Goodwill and happened to see a tie I like, but later realized it's a bit longer than a standard tie. Is there any tips from you to make the knots look more "normal" sized? They are all too small.

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

try a double four-in-hand instead of a standard four-in-hand. Just wrap the wide part of the tie around twice instead of once and you've got yourself a double....it should add some extra heft without looking too ridiculous, like a windsor

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I know this is going to sound strange, but try a triple-in-hand. Go on; just try it.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

^+1

I'm a shorter fellow and accidentally picked up a Lands' End long tie. The triple works well for me, as much as it kills me to do it.

The other thing to try is do a double 4-in-hand, but start the cross-over a bit lower than normal.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Just tuck the back blade down your pants and slip a tie clip on to hold everything together..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

6. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely try all of this. With the tucking advice, that could work, although I wouldn't like that look all of the time.

7. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

Strangely, it's not exactly working for me; lands up being wayyyy too short. Triple-in-hand? Do you mean the Oriental?

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

If a double FIH is way too long, just do a normal FIH but start with the narrow blade longer than you usually do. Tucking the blade in your pants is not a good idea.

9. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

The main issue is that if I tie the tie to correct length, the knot looks SO small it's kind of stupid looking (like I'm wearing a super skinny tie but with a fat end).

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

Yeah, I've noticed that issue.

Did you try doing the double, but starting the initial crossover lower than normal? That should keep the lengths proportionate, give you a solid knot, and avoid some ridiculous looking length.

Just keep trudging forward.

11. chet31

chet31 Senior member

Skinny neck here, which makes a lot of OTR ties too long. Plus, I like a slim knot. My solution, such as it is, is to tie the tie so the main blade is correct, then I tuck the back blade into my shirt at the 2nd button, i.e. as high as possible, i.e. I have no back blade. I have tried the "tuck the back blade into my pants" solution, but it's baggy and just comes out eventually

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I accidentally bought an extra length tie recently. It had a few other issues that could be fixed without too much pain, but unless I fixed them first, I wouldn't get anything on B&S, and even then, probably less, so I just put it in the donate pile. I think that's your best solution. Go back to the thrift store and get a nice regular length tie.

But if you really want to try, just go with a larger knot. I use the pratt, which has more volume than the four in hand. You could also try the half windsor, or, if the tie is thin enough, a full windsor would work without having a fist sized knot.

13. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

I think I'll just give it away to someone. I am quite short so I am unable to find a knot I like. I love the Pratt knot myself and wear it often, but it looks goofy with this tie. So, maybe I'll find someone who wants to trade an el cheapo tie for another el cheapo tie.

14. GHo

GHo Senior member

just cut the back blade shorter :crackup:

15. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

Good point, guess I could try that. Gives me a reason to practice my stitching.