• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tying a longer tie?

ZackP

Reaction score
I went to Goodwill and happened to see a tie I like, but later realized it's a bit longer than a standard tie. Is there any tips from you to make the knots look more "normal" sized? They are all too small.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try a double four-in-hand instead of a standard four-in-hand. Just wrap the wide part of the tie around twice instead of once and you've got yourself a double....it should add some extra heft without looking too ridiculous, like a windsor

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound strange, but try a triple-in-hand. Go on; just try it.

MattR

Reaction score
^+1

I'm a shorter fellow and accidentally picked up a Lands' End long tie. The triple works well for me, as much as it kills me to do it.

The other thing to try is do a double 4-in-hand, but start the cross-over a bit lower than normal.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tuck the back blade down your pants and slip a tie clip on to hold everything together..

Last edited:

ZackP

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely try all of this. With the tucking advice, that could work, although I wouldn't like that look all of the time.

ZackP

Reaction score
Strangely, it's not exactly working for me; lands up being wayyyy too short. Triple-in-hand? Do you mean the Oriental?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a double FIH is way too long, just do a normal FIH but start with the narrow blade longer than you usually do. Tucking the blade in your pants is not a good idea.

ZackP

Reaction score
The main issue is that if I tie the tie to correct length, the knot looks SO small it's kind of stupid looking (like I'm wearing a super skinny tie but with a fat end).

MattR

Reaction score

The main issue is that if I tie the tie to correct length, the knot looks SO small it's kind of stupid looking (like I'm wearing a super skinny tie but with a fat end).

Yeah, I've noticed that issue.

Did you try doing the double, but starting the initial crossover lower than normal? That should keep the lengths proportionate, give you a solid knot, and avoid some ridiculous looking length.

Just keep trudging forward.

chet31

Reaction score
Skinny neck here, which makes a lot of OTR ties too long. Plus, I like a slim knot. My solution, such as it is, is to tie the tie so the main blade is correct, then I tuck the back blade into my shirt at the 2nd button, i.e. as high as possible, i.e. I have no back blade. I have tried the "tuck the back blade into my pants" solution, but it's baggy and just comes out eventually

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accidentally bought an extra length tie recently. It had a few other issues that could be fixed without too much pain, but unless I fixed them first, I wouldn't get anything on B&S, and even then, probably less, so I just put it in the donate pile. I think that's your best solution. Go back to the thrift store and get a nice regular length tie.

But if you really want to try, just go with a larger knot. I use the pratt, which has more volume than the four in hand. You could also try the half windsor, or, if the tie is thin enough, a full windsor would work without having a fist sized knot.

ZackP

Reaction score
I think I'll just give it away to someone. I am quite short so I am unable to find a knot I like. I love the Pratt knot myself and wear it often, but it looks goofy with this tie. So, maybe I'll find someone who wants to trade an el cheapo tie for another el cheapo tie.

ZackP

Reaction score
Good point, guess I could try that. Gives me a reason to practice my stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics