• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, Canelo should have juiced when he fought Mayweather :-D

Fight will still happen. Too much money involved. Remember when Margarito was caught with plaster in his gloves? He never fought Mosely and ever again. Wrong! He kept fighting. I think he may have even fought Cotto again.

Actually, GGG is in a win-win. Lose and it's because Canelo juiced. Win and he is a hero!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parker vs Joshua in a couple of days.

Very excited for this fight.
That was as disappointing a heavyweight championship fight as I've seen in a long time. Parker seemed to be content to just go the distance. And, the stupid ref! When things started to get exciting, he'd break up the action. Where'd they get that clown?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was as disappointing a heavyweight championship fight as I've seen in a long time. Parker seemed to be content to just go the distance. And, the stupid ref! When things started to get exciting, he'd break up the action. Where'd they get that clown?

agree about the ref, disagree about the fight.

Thought it was a pretty good fight, I thought it was much closer than the judges and ridiculous UK commentators had it. I had it 115-113. Joshua for me won the fight by virtue of winning the last 3 rounds.

Parker did very well to take away AJ's right hand. Needed to be more aggressive in the second half of the fight.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joshua wasn't really made to work at all. Parker made sure he didn't get knocked out, but he was never going to win. Having said that, Joshua does not impress me all that much: over-muscled, robot-like in his movement, tires easily. He reminds me a lot of Frank Bruno, but I think that Bruno was actually a much more talented boxer. Having seen this, I think he could actually get beaten by Wilder, who is much more of a brawler than a boxer but who can hit very hard indeed (when he actually connects). HW division is terrible right now.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Canelo-GGG is definitely off, as Canelo has pulled out. Clearly he knows he's going to face a ban (as he should). It also looks like GGG is going to use this date as a tune-up for an autumn bout against Billy Joe Saunders, who has the only other title that GGG does not have (if you ignore the ridiculous Ring magazine lineal title, which he'd probably be given anyway if Canelo is stripped and if he wins this). This would actually be a very interesting prospect. There's very few people who like watching (or listening to) Saunders, but he's undoubtedly someone who is as awkward to fight as he is mouthy.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
More brilliant insight into the machinations of professional boxing. Well done.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

(Another quiet thread!)

Rewatched this fight today. Just shows that people who just hate on PBF don't know how he can/does/did bang when he wanted to. And still never took an L.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Top 5 fight of all time?
(Gotta love Joe Goosen in his party shirt in the corner!)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I watched this the other day. Someone had the nerve to say this may be the "fight of the century"?

Really? This has gotten limited promotion. Limited fanfare. The first fight was not even a top 300 right. What do casual fans look at?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter coming up. I can see Porter just overwhelming Garcia with all out pressure. But everyone says that Garcia has a good left w/KO power. My pick is Porter.

Caligula77

Reaction score
Rough and tough stuff yesterday. Porter’s performance was far from technical, skillful and entertaining. Garcia, it was evident from the first round, was the more refined fighter, and caught Porter with a few good left hooks but had extreme difficulty responding to his opponent’s pressure. Stoked for GGG v “Clenbuterol” Canelo fight next week.

Caligula77

Reaction score
Rough and tough stuff yesterday. Porter’s performance was far from technical, skillful and entertaining. Garcia, it was evident from the first round, was the more refined fighter, and caught Porter with a few good left hooks but had extreme difficulty responding to his opponent’s pressure. Stoked for GGG v “Clenbuterol” Canelo fight next week.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still awake after this GGG/Canelo fight. Couple of observations:

1. Canelo was super aggressive. None of that counter punch stuff he pulled in the first fight. He was really trying to KO GGG.
2. GGG was really gassed in the middle rounds. Surprised me. Also, he was marked up pretty well.
3. Have to reevaluate Canelo among the all time middles.

First fight I thought GGG edged Canelo on points even though it was a draw. Wasn't surprised that it was a draw, though.

This fight I thought that Canelo won on points. However, I was expecting the judges to give it to GGG (Las Vegas!). Set up a 3rd fight where Canelo could win and everyone would be happy ala Pacquia vs Marquez (although that may have been a 4 fight, can't remember).

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not care about Canelo anymore. Too much diva behaviour even before they caught him being a drugs cheat.

He should not and hopefully will not be the cash cow any longer now that we have guys like Usyk, Crawford, Spence, Lomachenko and hell even Anthony Joshua who have shown a greater proclivity to put things on the line.

There are too many good boxers around to put up with the crap that he and others have been pulling for years.

Even Garcia and Porter are fighting each other - that wouldn't have happened a few years ago, too risky a fight to take when you can just wait for your shot at the belt. Now that the talent pool has increased we're seeing guys have to take those types of fights. So I no longer have time for people who aren't going to put it all on the line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads