• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Fury vs. Wilder 3... what are the predictions?

There's always a chance that Wilder could just knock anyone out with one big punch, and Fury's real mental and physical state is always unpredictable, but I think we're going to see Fury win a very ugly fight either by late TKO or UD. I can't see it being a classic like the second installment.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yeah similar opinion here.

Long, drawn out and likely not especially entertaining...and that's just the cringeworthy entrances preceding a long, drawn out and not especially entertaining win for Fury. Same UD or late round TKO.

I really hope I'm wrong and fireworks ensue however. But I don't think I am.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilder unveils a new jab reminiscent of Prime Larry Holmes, and pieces up a confused Fury before knocking him out with a big right hand in the sixth round.

Who am I kidding. Fury by late-round TKO.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s going to blame that he didn’t have his arms and his gloves were too heavy

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fight was more entertaining than I expected it to be. Fury looked like he was going to put Wilder away after the third, then he got knocked down twice in the fourth, then he took over. Wilder was dead tired by the middle of the fight. I guess that's what happens when a 277 lb. man repeatedly grabs and leans on you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well Wilder claimed that his extra weight is 'sexy', so maybe this time he's going to use the excuse that he was "too sexy for the fight," - the extra weight definitely made him less mobile and tire earlier. Whereas Fury is pretty much used to carrying a much larger weight around! Fury was a bit sloppier than usual this time, and tried too hard to end it early, but his underrated ability to take a punch (or ten) and his instinctual skills and the weight behind the many shots that did land on Wilder eventually told. It wasn't as much of a classic as some are saying, but it was a much better fight than all of us though it was going to be.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best heavyweight fights I've seen in a long time.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just watched it again, and that should have been stopped long before it was. Wilder was dead on his feet from about Round 8, and he just got hit in the head again and again and again. He was basically just standing there while Fury jabbed him, barely covering up - and I thought that was a condition for a fight to continue, that the fighter must protect himself. Not pretty. I know people have said in the past that Fury can't punch, but it didn't look like that to me in either of the last two fights.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just watched it again, and that should have been stopped long before it was. Wilder was dead on his feet from about Round 8, and he just got hit in the head again and again and again. He was basically just standing there while Fury jabbed him, barely covering up - and I thought that was a condition for fight to continue, that the fighter must protect himself. Not pretty. I know people have said in the past that Fury can't punch, but it didn't look like that to me in either of the last two fights.

Fury is at the Kronk gym now with Javon Sugar Hill. He knows how to put his full weight behind his punches. His straight right used to be a winging arm punch and now it's damn near Klitschko-esque.

Fight should've definitely been stopped earlier. But given all the stuff that Wilder said last time, it would have taken a brave corner or a brave referee to stop that.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best heavyweight fights I've seen in a long time.

I enjoyed it too but I don't think it was of particularly high quality.

I don't want to sound like an AJ fanboy or a Fury hater (because I'm neither), but if you watch the Joshua/Usyk fight you see two boxers standing directly in front of each other, right in the pocket, for virtually the entire duration of the fight, with only one or two clinches. Lots of head movement and strategic adjustments and clever footwork.

In comparison this fight featured a slugger who gave up any defense or attempts to use boxing strategy after the first round. No head movement, abandoned the jab after round 2. Pure fighter's heart, which is damn admirable but I think in terms of quality it's a different spectacle from what other heavyweight fights can be.

Phrost

Reaction score
I don’t know what you guys are on, but this was a damn great fight.

I watched it live and was on the edge of my seat, glued to the screen because at any second one of these guys could’ve gotten knocked out.

I was impressed with Wilder in the first round, using jabs and right hands to the body.

But like a lot of people predicted, he went back to his old ways after getting pressured and touched by Fury.

I only saw him throw a left hook maybe 3-4 times. He landed a really nice uppercut on the inside, but as usual he reverted back to spamming his 1-2 to the head without feinting or really setting things up.

Yes, Fury looked a bit sloppy, not using as much feints or defense like he’s shown in the past, but he came to fight. His freakish stamina and power of recovery is to be applauded.

Fury used similar tactics as in the 2nd fight, using his weight to clinch and lean on Wilder to tire him out.

His quick head snapping jab from the 2nd fight returned and saved him in this fight. His tricky headlock followed by the right uppercut worked beautifully for him.

Joshua vs Usyk was a great fight to watch, but let’s be honest, Fury beats both of those guys. He’s easily the most versatile out of all the heavyweights.

Fury is able to make quick adjustments mid-way into a fight, which isn’t something Joshua is able to do. He’ll use all 270+ lbs to grapple, lean on and clinch Usyk and bully him on the inside.

jack webb

Reaction score
If you knew absolutely nothing about Fury and Wilder and had been forced to make your pick based only on their appearances at the weigh-in, many people would have gone with the lean, chiseled, and muscular Wilder. In comparison, Fury looked the the "before" picture of a workout program. Cannot judge a book by its cover, particularly in boxing.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joshua vs Usyk was a great fight to watch, but let’s be honest, Fury beats both of those guys. He’s easily the most versatile out of all the heavyweights.

Maybe, but I'd have to see it. Fury has two good wins in his entire career. A close, clever win over Klitschko (still a great win). And then a win over Wilder, on the weekend, who's he'd already beaten twice and knocked out in a few rounds the last time they fought.

Look, I'm not saying that Fury loses to Usyk or Joshua, but styles make fights. How often do we see Fury fight slick boxers? Or guys with better feet than him?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics