• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

Phrost

Reaction score
I predicted a Canelo decision, possibly controversial. I thought Saunders would be slick and defensive enough to last to the end. But that counter right uppercut... god damn.

Canelo was planting his feet and really torquing his whole body into those single power shots.

Whatever delicious Mexican beef he's eating is working out for him. The guy couldn't really hurt Cotto a few years back. Our Mexican champ is still growing at the tender age of 30 :p

Yeah... I don't see anyone beating Canelo right now or in the near future. Once he beats Plant and collects all of the Infinity Stones at 168, what else is there for him?

I used to think Bivol could present some problems - he has an excellent jab, fast educated feet, and controls distance well - but he didn't look good in his comeback fight. I don't think he's got KO power at 175 either. It'll be hard to outpoint Canelo with his deeply ingrained amateur points style.

Besides the Gvozdyk fight, I haven't really watched Beterbiev. But I read he didn't look too good in his comeback fight. He is getting older now.

What surprised me a bit was seeing an interview with Canelo's trainer saying they were aiming for Beterbiev before they chose to eventually fight Kovalev.

Aside from his KO power, Beterbiev's come forward pressure style does play well into Canelo's excellent counterpunching abilities...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canelo is going to need more that tainted beef if he’s going to move up.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I predicted a Canelo decision, possibly controversial. I thought Saunders would be slick and defensive enough to last to the end. But that counter right uppercut... god damn.

Canelo was planting his feet and really torquing his whole body into those single power shots.

Whatever delicious Mexican beef he's eating is working out for him. The guy couldn't really hurt Cotto a few years back. Our Mexican champ is still growing at the tender age of 30 :p

Yeah... I don't see anyone beating Canelo right now or in the near future. Once he beats Plant and collects all of the Infinity Stones at 168, what else is there for him?

I used to think Bivol could present some problems - he has an excellent jab, fast educated feet, and controls distance well - but he didn't look good in his comeback fight. I don't think he's got KO power at 175 either. It'll be hard to outpoint Canelo with his deeply ingrained amateur points style.

Besides the Gvozdyk fight, I haven't really watched Beterbiev. But I read he didn't look too good in his comeback fight. He is getting older now.

What surprised me a bit was seeing an interview with Canelo's trainer saying they were aiming for Beterbiev before they chose to eventually fight Kovalev.

Aside from his KO power, Beterbiev's come forward pressure style does play well into Canelo's excellent counterpunching abilities...

This win has aged really well for Bivol given what Joe Smith Jr has done since then.

Think Bivol has the pedigree to beat Beterbiev, perhaps by KO (although I'm in the minority there).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just watched the fight again more carefully this time, and you know what? It wouldn't be unreasonable to have had BJS ahead before round 8. He was boxing really well and he was slipping most of those power shots Canelo was trying to put in. The only thing he wasn't doing was hurting Canelo, and he was doing a little to much taunting for my liking - BJS is just not a likeable person. But then it seemed like Canelo had seen enough, had worked out what he needed to do, and he just took him apart in Round 8. Even so, I think if BJS's eye socket hadn't been fractured, it wouldn't have been over. It would have been interesting to see how much that round took out of both fighters had it continued... because I think Canelo put almost everything he had into taking out BJS in that round. It was savage and clinical and it worked.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just watched the fight again more carefully this time, and you know what? It wouldn't be unreasonable to have had BJS ahead before round 8. He was boxing really well and he was slipping most of those power shots Canelo was trying to put in. The only thing he wasn't doing was hurting Canelo, and he was doing a little to much taunting for my liking - BJS is just not a likeable person. But then it seemed like Canelo had seen enough, had worked out what he needed to do, and he just took him apart in Round 8. Even so, I think if BJS's eye socket hadn't been fractured, it wouldn't have been over. It would have been interesting to see how much that round took out of both fighters had it continued... because I think Canelo put almost everything he had into taking out BJS in that round. It was savage and clinical and it worked.

Dunno what fight you were watching to be honest.

I thought the commentators were being extremely kind to BJS.

Even when he did get off one or two shots here or there he was pretty quickly countered and pushed back again.

I gave him 2 rounds at best.

Canelo pretty much dominated from start to finish and the stoppage was coming from round 1.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno what fight you were watching to be honest.

Apparently the same one the expert commentators were watching because one of them had BJS ahead at that point too. But it doesn't matter anyway: my main point was that whoever was ahead at that point on the cards, Canelo was really in complete control and had total confidence in his ability to finish it when he wanted - which he did.

Phrost

Reaction score

Nah Canelo was setting him up with left and right uppercuts from the start of the fight.

Canelo caught on to Saunders constantly dipping down to avoid the left hook and exploited it.

I wonder if his corner actually warned him to stop doing it between rounds because an idiot like me even saw it.

The momentum of him dipping down coupled with that leverage behind the right uppercut broke the orbital bone.

It was a only a matter of time. Canelo has lately been sitting down much more on on his single shots and has been much more economical vs his flashy combos.

Maybe that’s how he miraculously solved his middle-late round stamina issues ?

Unless you’re a granite chinned puncher like a Golovkin, you’re going to get walked down by this version of Canelo who’s patient, applies a ton of smart pressure, and can now cut the ring off.

Last edited:

Phrost

Reaction score
It was announced a few weeks back, but Manny is taking on Spence.

Pac is 42 years old, has been out of the ring for 2 years and is taking on the top guy in the division. Absolutely nuts.

I just can’t reasonably see Pac winning this. Spence’s long jab, body work, and consistent pressure will eventually wear down Pac.

There were questions about Spence after his car accident, but he looked solid in his last fight against Garcia.

I’m rooting for Pac, but I think this will be another passing of the torch fight in boxing’s long history.

I just hope Pac doesn’t take too much damage and get hurt. The guy is a fighter through and through, just way too brave for his own good.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DD-COMPOSITE-FLOYD-v-PAUL-TOTT-4APR.jpg

Anyone actually going to pay for this?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably worth a stream.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Josh Taylor Jose Ramirez fight? That was an incredible fight worthy of pay per view.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Josh Taylor Jose Ramirez fight? That was an incredible fight worthy of pay per view.

One of the top I've seen recently and the best fighter won. It's a shame in some ways as I like Ramirez much more as a person, but he doesn't have quite the same skills, and that made the difference.

I was also impressed (again) by Nonito Donaire, who made short work of a supposed world champion, at the age of 38.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the top I've seen recently and the best fighter won. It's a shame in some ways as I like Ramirez much more as a person, but he doesn't have quite the same skills, and that made the difference.

I was also impressed (again) by Nonito Donaire, who made short work of a supposed world champion, at the age of 38.

Ramirez was peppering Taylor with body shots before the first knockdown. The second knockdown totally changed the momentum of the fight. If not for the referee touching Jose that uppercut may have never happened and Ramirez may have won the fight.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ramirez was peppering Taylor with body shots before the first knockdown. The second knockdown totally changed the momentum of the fight. If not for the referee touching Jose that uppercut may have never happened and Ramirez may have won the fight.

That referee should be forcibly retired. I don't think he made the difference but it's not the first fight he's messed around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads