• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty competitive fight until the stoppage. No way Saunders was going to win, however. Didn't have the power that Canelo needed to respect. I've never seen this Caleb Plant guy fight. He'll sign on the dotted line once he realizes how much money he's going to make. Does he have any chance against Canelo?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty competitive fight until the stoppage. No way Saunders was going to win, however. Didn't have the power that Canelo needed to respect. I've never seen this Caleb Plant guy fight. He'll sign on the dotted line once he realizes how much money he's going to make. Does he have any chance against Canelo?

Plant is a poor man's Saunders...he has zero chance.

Didn't find the fight with saunders particularly competitive. I had expected saunders to be able to use his legs more but canelo has really improved his footwork and ability to cut off the ring.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canelo looks unbeatable at the moment.

Plant is not that highly rated and even then he's overrated. He would be a keep busy fight for Canelo. I think Benavidez would be more of a challenge: he has the raw talent, but he's probably still too young and inexperienced to beat Canelo.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plant is a poor man's Saunders...he has zero chance.

Didn't find the fight with saunders particularly competitive.

^
Agree with this.

Canelo was going to break Saunders down eventually. Just a matter of time.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canelo looks unbeatable at the moment.

Plant is not that highly rated and even then he's overrated. He would be a keep busy fight for Canelo. I think Benavidez would be more of a challenge: he has the raw talent, but he's probably still too young and inexperienced to beat Canelo.

I find Benevidez vastly overrated to be honest. He doesn't really use his length and has bad footwork.

Think Canelo deals to him easier than he did Kovalev.

If Bivol drops down to 168 that would be an interesting fight.

But otherwise GGG is still the most competitive.

Wouldn't mind seeing canelo shut Andrade up though

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the ending, I hate when a corner stoppage is ridiculed as "quitting on the stool." Had Saunders come out for the ninth round, he would have gotten demolished and would have risked serious, possibly permanent, damage to his right eye.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Canelo is the 2nd best fighter over the last 10-15 years.

Wins over Trout/Mosely/GGG/Cintron/Lara/Cotto/Khan/Jacobs/JCC Jr/Kovalev/Baldomir & Kirkland make his resume very impressive. His one loss to the best fighter of my generation is not a knock. Nobody beats TMT!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canelo is the 2nd best fighter over the last 10-15 years.

Wins over Trout/Mosely/GGG/Cintron/Lara/Cotto/Khan/Jacobs/JCC Jr/Kovalev/Baldomir & Kirkland make his resume very impressive. His one loss to the best fighter of my generation is not a knock. Nobody beats TMT!
giphy.gif

Helps when you have the judges in your corner.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Helps when you have the judges in your corner.

Canelo has a MUCH better resume than GGG. GGG is and has been overrated in my book.

I was at the GGG vs Jacobs fight at MSG. Jacobs could not have beat him, but he put up a better fight against him than most/I suspected.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most viewers thought Canelo lost the first fight against GGG. He arguably lost the second one as well.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most viewers thought Canelo lost the first fight against GGG. He arguably lost the second one as well.

GGG was supposed to be the baddest man on the planet. Should not have let it go to the cards. VERY overrated.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GGG was supposed to be the baddest man on the planet. Should not have let it go to the cards. VERY overratedcherry-picked opponents past their prime like Canelo and PBF did.
FTFY. :box:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GGG's resume is indeed not as good as Canelo's

Still if you're gonna say that Canelo is the top dog of this generation you should also give a shout out to GGG given that the fights between them were so close.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GGG's resume is indeed not as good as Canelo's

Still if you're gonna say that Canelo is the top dog of this generation you should also give a shout out to GGG given that the fights between them were so close.

Outside of PBF.

Nope....I don't give GGG that much of a shoutout. Outside of Canelo/Jacobs and Lemieux and Brook...he hasn't fought anyone.
(Maybe I am forgetting someone.)

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GGG's resumé is not as good because people have been avoiding him throughout his career, which is pretty easy to do with a fighter from Central Asia. He tried to remedy this by moving to the USA. He would have faught anyone any time.

Canelo has a better resumé, until you look at when he has faught certain fighters - he's been very well-managed, as I've said before. Certainly since he's been the main attraction, he's generally waited for the perfect occasion to take on particular opponents, for example waiting until a really good fighter is past his physical or mental peak before fighting him. Even GGG was in this category when Canelo finally faught him.

And yet, GGG beat Canelo in both fights: clearly in the first one, and less obviously in the second - whatever the judges said. And Canelo has clearly also had the right judges (and the right lawyers...) on several occasions.

They are both excellent fighters, no doubt, and where Canelo is obviously 'bettter' is in his ability to move up weights. GGG is a natural Middleweight. Canelo is... who knows really? He seems to be be able to pump up or boil down to anything from Middleweight to Light Heavyweight. And that's what makes him the top P4P boxer right now. Personally, I'd say Inoue was better but he's going to need a lot more time and possibly moving up another weight class or two to prove this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads