• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Swift vs Spence tonight!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spence was good, but all the fights last night were a bit meh. Yarde-Arthur was super disappointing in that I think it cofirms that Yarde was overhyped and isn't really going anywhere.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any doubt who is the best fighter in the world right now?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty. Callum Smith is a good fighter, but he got to the top at Super-Middleweight with one really significant top-level significant victory, against George Groves. Groves is literally the only top-rated fighter he has beaten. Canelo's management chooses his opponents very carefully - he loves fighting these taller, rangier fighters who he can destroy with body attacks, and Smith was perfect for him. I would like to see him fight a less calculated Super-Middleweight match-up for example, with the aggressive but largely untested David Benevidez or the supremely tricky and experienced Billy-Joe Saunders. But Super-Middle is also not the deepest division in terms of talent... Middle has more right now but I don't know if Canelo would want to, or could go back down.

There's no doubt Canelo is a great fighter, but he's also a very well-managed and protected fighter who in the past has also benefitted from some very friendly judging, and of course, significant artificial input...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty. Callum Smith is a good fighter, but he got to the top at Super-Middleweight with one really significant top-level significant victory, against George Groves. Groves is literally the only top-rated fighter he has beaten. Canelo's management chooses his opponents very carefully - he loves fighting these taller, rangier fighters who he can destroy with body attacks, and Smith was perfect for him. I would like to see him fight a less calculated Super-Middleweight match-up for example, with the aggressive but largely untested David Benevidez or the supremely tricky and experienced Billy-Joe Saunders. But Super-Middle is also not the deepest division in terms of talent... Middle has more right now but I don't know if Canelo would want to, or could go back down.

There's no doubt Canelo is a great fighter, but he's also a very well-managed and protected fighter who in the past has also benefitted from some very friendly judging, and of course, significant artificial input...
It’s not his fault he ate some tainted beef while training in Mexico even though several other fighters also got popped for PED’s and he should’ve known already to not eat the beef.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think this was a "sure win" for Canelo like you do. Smith came in undefeated, had 2-3 belts and was taller than Canelo by almost a foot.

Canelo has developed into a very dangerous fighter for anyone. If you try to take him out with power shots, he'll go into Matrix mode and tire you out. If you try to box and get away, he'll cut off the ring and administer punishment and eventually get you. Not your stereotypical Mexican fighter.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canelo is definitely numbed one.

But Callum Smith is not an elite fighter. He's a big man with who gets outjabbed by the the likes of Erik Skogland and gets beaten up on the inside by amazing talents such as John Ryder.

So yes i give Canelo credit, clearly the number one fighter in the world these days. Elite accuracy, head movement, jab, punch selection.

I know people think Charlo might give him trouble but i don't see it. I think he knocks out Charlo pretty easy.

Billy Joe Saunders? Lol no. One decent win where you look slick doesn't mean you can outbox canelo.

The best fight for Canelo is still GGG. I still want to see the trilogy.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best fight for Canelo is still GGG. I still want to see the trilogy.

GGG has been past his peak for a few years now. Canelo's management waited until they could see signs he was past his best before allowing the match-up and even then he didn't win. Arguably he didn't win either time. And he was certainly 'beefing up' too... he was so 'roided he looked like Sylvester Stallone in the later Rocky films.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Jake Paul-Ben Askren "fight"? What an embarrassment to the sweet science. I streamed it and regret the two minutes from my life that I lost.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Jake Paul-Ben Askren "fight"? What an embarrassment to the sweet science. I streamed it and regret the two minutes from my life that I lost.

Nah.....

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the Canelo-BJS fight tomorrow even though I'm not a fan of either man. I can't see BJS winning, but he could be competitive, depending on which version of him turns up. He's a skilled fighter, but Canelo has the skills as well as the, err... beef. I mean he's stronger and got more power than almost anyone else, whatever he did to achieve that strength. And it's not as if BJS hasn't been juicing too, but clearly he chose the wrong magic formula...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads