TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by TyCooN, Nov 8, 2009.

1. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Floyd is Ali's superior in ability

Is he better than Sugar Ray Robinson skill wise? IDK

Ali is neither a candidate for most skilled or most accomplished fighter

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Ali is the greatest for what he did outside the ring, not inside it. He voluntarily gave up the prime years of his boxing career for principle -- opposition to the Vietnam War. When he came back, he was slower and easier to hit. And he still regained the Heavyweight Championship of the World.

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I love how the black man Floyd fights only on Mexican holidays, and Mexican fighters have to adjust their fight schedules because of him. He even uses the Mexican flag on his shirts to make money!

[​IMG]

Money is gangsta as fuck.

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

5. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

How I see it Saul Alvarez was Floyd's final Mexican threat.

By making Saul's AZZ hurt Floyd effectively secured all Mexican fight holidays until the end of his career.

Beating manny will only strengthen Floyd's hold over those dates.

Alvarez tried to jack May 2nd earlier this year. Floyd chin checked him once more.

6. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Do you guys think Pretty Boy retires after this, one outcome, or another?

He'd literally have nothing else to prove if he wins. I'm guessing, if he loses, there might be a rematch. If he wins, he's out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

No, I think he keeps going if he wins. He'll be at 48-0 with one more fight left with his Showtime contract. One more fight brings him to 49-0. He can do one last fight after that for a potentially even bigger payday to get to 50-0 to beat Rocky Marciano. Once he gets to 50-0, he's done.

8. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I can see where you're coming from. Thing is, there likely isn't another contender outside of Pac Man that could bring in payday money - and he can buyout his contract. Otherwise, he would have to fight Brook, Khan or Bradley - the later of whom Manny beat.

Marciano probably makes top 5 in his weight class, but no one would likely rank him first because of the contenders he fought. Floyd beats Oscar and Manny - my opinion is either a journey man or he opts out. He'd be richer than Mitt Romney (though his gambling might not make that the case within a year).

9. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

He's determined to finish this contract

He must have said it on 3-4 separate occasions already that he's done after September 2015.

I think his next opponent will either be Kell Brook or Keith Thurman.

10. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

That would be interesting. Both of those guys have a chance to win via KO (even on pretty boy) or win by decision. Floyd is pretty proud of his perfect record after he got screwed over in the Olympics.

I'd guess it comes to his mentality. If he fights any of those guys we mentioned and wins, he'll get more respect - goes down as the best pound for pound boxer. If he fights some journeyman or buys out his contract, he'll lose respect for going out protecting his perfect record. Bradley is a safe option - unsure how the deal works out.

It'll come down to what happens May 2nd imo.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

11. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

imo, outside of dedicated boxing fans, people will be lenient on his next opponent after he taps manny's azz.

The casual fans will leave boxing until another 'exciting' star fighter comes along. Those that remain will magically attempt to become Floyd fans.

Floyd in recent years, unlike manny, has standards for what is an acceptable opponent. You won't catch Floyd fighting C-level fighters like Algieri. Floyd's worst opponents (Guerroer and Ortiz) are better than manny's Algieri.

Timmeh will be back in June or July. If it's in June against a decent opponent and he wins, I'd consider him a candidate for Floyd's next match.

Kell Brook is the safest option ON PAPER, but he's fucking himself by fighting weak opposition this year.

Keith Thurman just beat a prior Floyd victim (Guerrero) in a brutal fight. Floyd likes it when guys are coming off these type of wins.

Most difficult fight for FLoyd of the three would be Keith Thurman. He's a natural body puncher and would do better than manny.

Timmeh would be the easiest. It would be somewhere between Marquez and Alvarez in terms of difficulty.

Floyd want his opponents to be coming off a career victory. It contributes buzz to their fight. manny getting a Floyd fight coming off a victory over Algieri was an exception due to the payday.

Going off Floyd's pattern of opponent selection, Keith is the most likely candidate as of now. Plus he's an exciting American fighter and has the same handler as Floyd.

Timmeh is the most accomplished. Personally, I wouldn't fuck with him. Tim is managed by top rank and bop arum. There's a possibility of a robbery just to spite Floyd.

12. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Let's see what happens. All it it takes is one shot.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I would stay away from Keith T for fight 50.
    The bigger fight $ wise is Khan.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

There are 2 floor seats available on Stubhub for $361,894.46 USD/each!

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

He has been doing that for a while(shirts/hats/etc.) Not only Mexico....