• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two weddings; One suit

CommenceFailure

Reaction score
So guys,
Two close friends of mine are getting married this coming summer/fall. One will be on May 21, the other on October 8. I would like to buy a single suit for these weddings, and I'm also getting toward the end of college and a suit for interviews and the like would be quite helpful.

I own a tuxedo for band concerts, so this suit will be my first lounge suit. I am mostly wondering what type of fabric I should be looking for? I don't know much about fabrics and weights, and would need a pretty middle of the road fabric to handle the upper 60s and low 70s in may, and the mid 50s for october.

I think I will be looking for a navy or medium/dark grey suit, depending on the deal I can get, but what would you guys recommend? I'm also thinking something around 500 bucks. I have some idea of brands to look for, but any random tips about brand, color, fabric, anything would be appreciated too!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search around here for 'interview suit'.

AncientSoul

Reaction score
If you were going bespoke/custom/MTM you could have picked the cloth that fits the temperature range you mentioned. Anything in the 260-290 grams per meter will be fine.

If you want RTW suit then you will have to feel the cloth before buying.

As for the color, I think a plain Navy Blue suit with a white shirt and maroon/red tie with plain toe or cap toe black oxfords will work the best.

For the second wedding, try the same suit with a different shirt/tie combo.

CommenceFailure

Reaction score
That weight info helps. I don't think I'll be able get anywhere where I can feel the kind of suit I'm looking for. I live in a very small college town, and back home we only have a macy's. From prowling around here, it seems like macy's hardly has anything worth owning at retail, just a bunch of fused garbage I guess.

saiyar1

Reaction score
To give an opposing opinion, charcoal would be my choice. A bit more formal for outings and non business vs navy, which to me feels more formal but in a business setting. Just get a year round wool.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
To give an opposing opinion, charcoal would be my choice. A bit more formal for outings and non business vs navy, which to me feels more formal but in a business setting. Just get a year round wool.
+1. Stay away from the heavier fabrics and you can wear this suit for most of the seasons. If it gets super cold, wear an overcoat. I would also recommend that you budget an additional 75 for for alterations.

CommenceFailure

Reaction score
Yes. Totally, already planning on heading to a tailor. I have some AE strands in walnut that I would like to wear with my suit, just because they're a more 'fun' shoe than my black captoes. I think charcoal would rule those out. Some probably would argue about them with a navy suit, but I think that's a rule I'm willing to break.

saiyar1

Reaction score
You can certainly wear those shoes with shades of darker grey, moreso if yours are wearing in or polished to a slightly darker hue. I suppose it always comes down to personal taste, but I like the look. I feel it gives a "British vibe", so finish the ensemble accordingly, especially when choosing a nice tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads