• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Sides to SF

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, I've spent a lot of time in Classic Menswear section talking about suits, shirts, and ties and everyone thinks I am crazy for paying full retail on Zegna, Brioni, Tom Ford, Charvet, etc. And everyone is telling me to wait for the sale or go bespoke. Then I go to the Watch section and see watches that are easily $10k PLUS. Are there two worlds in this forum or am I missing something?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think your crazy for making all these threads :)

:lurk:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just think your crazy for making all these threads
smile.gif

lurker[1].gif
+1 on that I am crazy. It also let's me kill time at work.
decisions.gif

atia2

Reaction score
I've never owned an expensive watch, but I guess the logic is that watches don't wear when you wear them, whereas suits and shoes most certainly do. Therefore, a $10k watch purchased today may still be worth $10k in years to come, while a $2k suit will certainly be worth very little. You're not really spending $10k on the watch, since most of it's value is retained.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never owned an expensive watch, but I guess the logic is that watches don't wear when you wear them, whereas suits and shoes most certainly do. Therefore, a $10k watch purchased today may still be worth $10k in years to come, while a $2k suit will certainly be worth very little. You're not really spending $10k on the watch, since most of it's value is retained.
True to a certain point. But I certainly hope that people who are telling me to wait for sale or buy it at discount aren't the same people who have $25k watches.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy what you want, at whatever price is fair in your eyes. That is all that really counts, everyone's fiscal situation is different.

I have been happy with my Zegna and Tom Ford items. Not all of them have been bought on discount, and I feel just fine about the purchases.

I will say this though, some brands I do not feel are worth it at retail, but on discount they can find a place on my rotation. This happens for me with shoe brands particularly..

smoothmoose

Reaction score

True to a certain point. But I certainly hope that people who are telling me to wait for sale or buy it at discount aren't the same people who have $25k watches.

There are always people from different walks of life and their spending habits may not be representative of who the are and how much they have.

I know people that make $30k/yr and lease BMW and Mercedes. I also know people (the owners of company I work at) that have a net worth in the tens of millions that drive a 10 year old Toyota. Same thing with my best friend he's worth several million with potential to be worth additional tens of millions (based on his company stock holdings) and he still drives his 13 year old Acura and buys his clothes from H&M and his meat from Costco.

I lie somewhere in between...but this is really much ado about nothing...

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
Most clothes, shoes and accessories go on sale at some point either during sale periods, at outlets stores, online sources etc. However, with watches it is different, you will not get 40% off Rolex watches during the xmas sales.

There will be some clothes you would need to pay retail because they will not be on sale, they are not on sale in your size or you want it before they go on sale.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Buy what you want, at whatever price is fair in your eyes. That is all that really counts, everyone's fiscal situation is different.

I have been happy with my Zegna and Tom Ford items. Not all of them have been bought on discount, and I feel just fine about the purchases.

I will say this though, some brands I do not feel are worth it at retail, but on discount they can find a place on my rotation. This happens for me with shoe brands particularly..
I am cool shelling out cash for Zegna suits at full retail but I am NOT cool with doing that with RLBL anymore because I see them at half the retail price or even more. If I can afford it and I am not bending over backwards to get it then I will get it if I deem it is worthy of my money. But it seems the majority here LOVE discounts and bespokes, nothing wrong with that. I am learning to not be so stupid with my money. Maybe it's because I am still immature, with no kids, and just decent amount of dough. Ugh, now I want an IWC Port. Chrono, FML.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most clothes, shoes and accessories go on sale at some point either during sale periods, at outlets stores, online sources etc. However, with watches it is different, you will not get 40% off Rolex watches during the xmas sales.

There will be some clothes you would need to pay retail because they will not be on sale, they are not on sale in your size or you want it before they go on sale.
Yes, the problem for me is that when I go to a store during a sale period, I cannot find my size. Small, Medium, 38R, 40R, etc. Watches are interesting in that what I've purchased like 3 years ago has appreciated in value or should I say their prices are going up every year. WTF?!

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are always people from different walks of life and their spending habits may not be representative of who the are and how much they have.

I know people that make $30k/yr and lease BMW and Mercedes. I also know people (the owners of company I work at) that have a net worth in the tens of millions that drive a 10 year old Toyota. Same thing with my best friend he's worth several million with potential to be worth additional tens of millions (based on his company stock holdings) and he still drives his 13 year old Acura and buys his clothes from H&M and his meat from Costco.

I lie somewhere in between...but this is really much ado about nothing...
Yes, yes. I had a friend who was living in a roach-infested apartment in a poor neighborhood with 4 other people while driving a freaking Benz S class while going to a community college. I, on the other hand, was earning 6 figures (which is nothing nowadays with the s#itty economy), and was driving a 2010 Maxima, FML. What you see ain't the reality, I guess.

Macallan

Reaction score

Yes, the problem for me is that when I go to a store during a sale period, I cannot find my size. Small, Medium, 38R, 40R, etc.

I have the same problem; difficult to find decent suits or jackets in 40S during the sales, when it comes to casual clothes I have better luck

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am cool shelling out cash for Zegna suits but I am NOT cool anymore with doing that with RLBL because I see them at half the retail price. If I can afford it and I am bending over backwards to get it then I will get it if I deem it is worthy of my money. But it seems the majority here LOVE discounts and bespokes, nothing wrong with that. I am learning to not be so stupid with my money. Maybe it's because I am still immature, with no kids, and just decent amount of dough.

It's because you can get almost any retail label at a good discount through some means - so either be patient (or spend full price, your call) or go bespoke for the same price you'd have paid full retail (usually) and come out with a better suit in almost all cases.

Edit: Whoops ... shoulda hit reply way sooner since this got covered. Oh well.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am cool shelling out cash for Zegna suits at full retail but I am NOT cool with doing that with RLBL anymore because I see them at half the retail price or even more. If I can afford it and I am not bending over backwards to get it then I will get it if I deem it is worthy of my money. But it seems the majority here LOVE discounts and bespokes, nothing wrong with that. I am learning to not be so stupid with my money. Maybe it's because I am still immature, with no kids, and just decent amount of dough. Ugh, now I want an IWC Port. Chrono, FML.

I know what you mean about that IWC Portofino :drool:

I feel the same way about most BB stuff, it only makes sense for me on sale. Then there are things like GG shoes that I feel comfortable with at retail (even if it means saving up).

SF is a crazy place. I have seen people get bashed for paying retail, and other times berated for buying 12 AE shoes instead of 4 EG/GG shoes.

On my part, my nurture has me look for sales when possible, but my artistic side Inspires me to make that passionate purchase other times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads