• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Two shirt questions for the shirt intelligentsia

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. My best fitting shirt fits well in all aspects EXCEPT there are two folds/creases running from the side of my neck/collar diagonally towards my armpits, creating an upside down V effect. Anyone know which seam needs to be adjusted (and how) to eradicate this? Sorry I can't do pics.

2. On shirt collars there is usually a line of stitching which follows the edge of the collar a few mm in from the edge, but I prefer the clean look where there is no such seam. Anyone know if there is a specific term for this to make it easier to describe to my shirtmaker?

Thanks.

whatsinaname

Reaction score
1. Good luck.

2. Edgestiching. Or topstitching if it's a 1/4" from the edge ... which is typical. Both are structural. They hold the collar seam flat. I don't think you'll be able to do without it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
1. My best fitting shirt fits well in all aspects EXCEPT there are two folds/creases running from the side of my neck/collar diagonally towards my armpits, creating an upside down V effect. Anyone know which seam needs to be adjusted (and how) to eradicate this? Sorry I can't do pics.

2. On shirt collars there is usually a line of stitching which follows the edge of the collar a few mm in from the edge, but I prefer the clean look where there is no such seam. Anyone know if there is a specific term for this to make it easier to describe to my shirtmaker?

Thanks.

1. Your shirtmaker or tailor should be able to figure that out.

2. It's called edge stitching. However, it's been advised by some that it is more likely to come undone.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i have never seen edge stitching come undone!!!
you can make a shirt without top stitching, but It is not a good idea.

with out seeing your photo in the shirt, i would guess that you have sloping shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 150 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 8.2%