• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two questions!

Y2trell

Reaction score
The First, How do i get perfect abs and what types of food should i eat?.

Second, I'm a black male and i can not seem to get any waves in my hair for nothing, any suggestions??.

pstoller

Reaction score
How do I get perfect abs and what types of food should I eat?

I would recommend lots and lots of abdominal crunches, as part of regular workouts and in addition to leading an active lifestyle. For food, try to get as many of your calories as possible from protein"”fish, soy, lean meats and/or supplements. It's better to eat complex carbohydrates than simple ones, so you want to limit consumption of refined flours and sugars. Keep your fat intake modest, and especially stay away from saturated and hydrogenated fats. Eschew junk food and fast food. Keep your total calorie count in line with the calories you expend.

None of this guarantees you'll have "perfect" abs, because there is a genetic component to the "washboard" look that you either have or you don't. However, that aside, plenty of exercise and sensible eating will get you as close as you're going to get, and it will keep you healthy as well.

I can't help you with the hair.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factors in developing washboard abs, from most important to least important are: genetics, diet, cardio exercise, and abs exercises.  Sadly, that means you can do ab work until you're blue in the face and you won't develop a six pack if you're not predisposed to developing one.  That being said, you can move in that direction through a good diet (I can't add anything to what pstoller already said) and increasing your cardio work to every other day at the very least.  Run or bike right after you wake up to burn the layer of fat covering your ab muscles.  Do ab work every other day -- like all other muscles they need at least a day of rest.  And when you do ab work, make sure to vary your routine.  Include leg lifts and the "bicycle" crunch -- the lower abs and obliques are (from my experience) the hardest to develop.

pstoller

Reaction score
Do ab work every other day"”like all other muscles, they need at least a day of rest.
I was of the understanding that, unlike all other muscles, abs do not need a day of rest. It's the only muscle group you can work daily. (Of course, you can take Sundays off for good behavior.)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was of the understanding that, unlike all other muscles, abs do not need a day of rest. It's the only muscle group you can work daily. (Of course, you can take Sundays off for good behavior.)
There are differing opinions on this. Â Because muscles grow during rest, now when one works out, I agree with the camp that believes that one should do ab work at most every other day. Â In any event, I think the marginal benefit of working your abs every day as opposed to every other day is minimal at best.

Y2trell

Reaction score
Thanks Fellas.
wink.gif
I appreciate it.

feltva

Reaction score
FYI: As mentioned in one of the responses, genetics are key. Brad Pitt has perfect genes, we all know, and his abs were there even when he was a kid, I'm sure. As good of shape as I'm in, and as lean as I am (virtually no body fat - I'm 6' tall and 140 lbs), my abs don't want to "pop" like I so want them too. I crunch like hell but I think I've got them as good as good as they can get. One alternative is ab etching. It's not for everyone and yes, it is quite vain, but if you really want abs and your genes don't, it's the only way to get them. The cost is about $1500 or so and it's all out paitient. The proceedure takes about two hours max and the abs will show about four weeks after. Further info: http://www.drnadler.com/lipo.htm and http://www.egrari.com

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ambulance chaser, you suggest running RIGHT after you wake up? Before eating and everything else? When I run on an empty stomach I feel like throwing up =(

LDawg

Reaction score
When you first wake up your body is in the state where it will burn the most amount of energy. I think that's why AC recommended it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
LDawg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do between 3-8 miles the moment I get up, five or six times a week. I don't know if it's doing anything for my abs, (or at least the pancake breakfasts and double-doubles,mitigate that effect - pstoller know what I'm talking about -) but you feel great for the whole day. I usually do about an hour of weights right after running and stretching, and it kills, but you'll have that satisfying ache at least all day long.

A good way to relieve boredom and get some exercise besides, is to do ten or twenty pushups every half and hour at work. After doing this for a while, I could pump off 100 pushups in a row, no problem. I know a guy who claimed to be able to do 300. I don't know if this is true, but we did 100 together once, and he wasn't even breaking a sweat.

ulf

Reaction score
When you first wake up your body is in the state where it will burn the most amount of energy.  I think that's why AC recommended it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know if this is strictly true, but fact is exercise will speed up your metabolism for hours. So, if you want to burn maximum calories during the day it's a good idea to work out mornings.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is strictly true, but fact is exercise will speed up your metabolism for hours. So, if you want to burn maximum calories during the day it's a good idea to work out mornings.

Actually, I've heard that this is a myth, that your metabolism is speeded up for only a very short time, and that, in particular for the case of intensive cardio, cortisone levels are actually increased and so fat is retained. Bottom line that your mom was probably right and that moderation is probably the way to go (Pierce Brosnan good. Triple-H (of WWF fame), Syndey Greenstreet, John Goodman, bad.)

pstoller

Reaction score
However long your metabolism is speeded up, it's going to be the same period of time whether you run at 6 AM or 4 PM, so I don't see any special advantage in running in the morning. However, if that works better for you than coffee, why not? Certainly getting your endorphins pumping early can make the rest of the day more of an "up."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you first wake up your body is in the state where it will burn the most amount of energy.  I think that's why AC recommended it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the theory is that when you wake up in the morning, you haven't eaten for 7 or 8 hours so your body will use stored fat for energy rather than your last meal.  (I'm a lawyer, not a doctor, so take that advice with a piece of salt.)  In addition, testosterone levels are highest in the morning so lifting is best at that time as well.  Personally, I like to work out in the morning because it helps me wake up and is easier to do on a regular basis -- I can't make the excuse that I've gotten home late and am too tired to exercise.

Joe G

Reaction score
A good way to relieve boredom and get some exercise besides, is to do ten or twenty pushups every half and hour at work.
You know, that's one of most sense-making things I've yet read on the 'net. Thanks.

Peace,

JG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads