• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two of my favorite "healthy" foods: are they less good than I think?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've started thinking about two of my favorite "healthy" foods, and have begun to wonder whether they are as healthy as I think they are. They are: Spinich, mushroom, feta, and chicken omlette (whole eggs), and Trader Joes beef taquitos (Each one is 100 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 7g protein), and I turn five into a meal. I've never really thought about diet besides avoid processed flowers, suggar, and deep fried foods, but lately have wondered more.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the omelet is a good high protein choice. You can make it "healthier" (less fat and cholesterol) by using mostly egg whites and reduced fat feta. I love Trader Joe's and shop there often, but some of their products are far from healthy - however the taquitos don't seem to be pretty reasonable. I like their bean and corn enchiladas.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I think the omelet is a good high protein choice. You can make it "healthier" (less fat and cholesterol) by using mostly egg whites and reduced fat feta. I love Trader Joe's and shop there often, but some of their products are far from healthy - however the taquitos don't seem to be pretty reasonable. I like their bean and corn enchiladas.

Wait, so you think their taquitos do or don't seem to be a good choice, I was a bit confused by your post. And I agree in general that it's a great place. For my whole wheat bread, fat free yogurt, bottled water, and Patron, nobody beats them. I just picked up a spinich pie there, and the next time I have 45min to wait while something cooks, I'm gonna give it a try.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So I've started thinking about two of my favorite "healthy" foods, and have begun to wonder whether they are as healthy as I think they are. They are: Spinich, mushroom, feta, and chicken omlette (whole eggs), and Trader Joes beef taquitos (Each one is 100 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 7g protein), and I turn five into a meal. I've never really thought about diet besides avoid processed flowers, suggar, and deep fried foods, but lately have wondered more.

spinach = great
mushroom = good
feta = ok
eggs = good
beef taquitos = not good

Processed flours, sugar, anything fried, etc., isn't good.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Wait, so you think their taquitos do or don't seem to be a good choice, I was a bit confused by your post. And I agree in general that it's a great place. For my whole wheat bread, fat free yogurt, bottled water, and Patron, nobody beats them. I just picked up a spinich pie there, and the next time I have 45min to wait while something cooks, I'm gonna give it a try.

Sorry, I'm also confused with what I wrote. What I meant to say is that generally speaking, taquitos are not a good choice. However, according to the nutrition information you provided, the TJ taquitos seem to be acceptable.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Sorry, I'm also confused with what I wrote. What I meant to say is that generally speaking, taquitos are not a good choice. However, according to the nutrition information you provided, the TJ taquitos seem to be acceptable.

Ok, now I got you. I've thought of unwrapping them and just eating the beef, lol, because there's nothing good about the corn tortilla. I choose the beef over the chicken because it's actually more protine/less fat (chicken fat is an ingredient on the chicken version, go figure).

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Beef should be a once a week food, and ground beef is essentially leftover trash. Eat beef from respectable sources with a recognizable texture. Trader Joe's is better than average, but price is their primary marketing point.

One egg yolk provides close the daily recommended intake of cholesterol, so don't get in the habit of an egg-heavy diet long term. Sooner or later you'll need to cut back. Cheese is OK in moderation, but just because it's exotic doesn't mean it's less fattening than ordinary cheese.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more processed/packaged it is, the less you're going to get out of it, and the more you're spending on all that processing and packaging. If you were making your own taquitoes, that'd be better. But what are the other ingredients in it?

The basic lists, like protein, fat, etc., don't really tell you much about what you're putting in your body. Most of the worst food out there (fast food) is very high in protein and calories, but they are cheap protein and calories, the cheapest ones the manufacturers can find. Hot dogs are high in protein, and even if the salt and fat were lowered in them, would you want to eat them all the time?

I generally just follow a label: the more chemicals/additives/preservatives listed, the less I want it. This is especially helpful in comparing like products. Like, I've found there are very few pre-made basic tomato pasta sauces that actually contain basic ingredients: tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil. Most of the ones you glance over also have citric acid (preservative that compromises flavor), sugar, tomato paste (NOT tomatoes), canola oil (not a bad substitute, but still a substitute), etc.

Trader Joe's is a great place; try and find the goods made more locally.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds about right. A(nother) good rule a thumb is to stay away from all foods with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oil as ingredients. I never buy whole wheat breads that contains the former (and there're tons of these) or peanut butter that's made of anything but peanut and salt.
Originally Posted by Sartorian
The more processed/packaged it is, the less you're going to get out of it, and the more you're spending on all that processing and packaging. If you were making your own taquitoes, that'd be better. But what are the other ingredients in it?

The basic lists, like protein, fat, etc., don't really tell you much about what you're putting in your body. Most of the worst food out there (fast food) is very high in protein and calories, but they are cheap protein and calories, the cheapest ones the manufacturers can find. Hot dogs are high in protein, and even if the salt and fat were lowered in them, would you want to eat them all the time?

I generally just follow a label: the more chemicals/additives/preservatives listed, the less I want it. This is especially helpful in comparing like products. Like, I've found there are very few pre-made basic tomato pasta sauces that actually contain basic ingredients: tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil. Most of the ones you glance over also have citric acid (preservative that compromises flavor), sugar, tomato paste (NOT tomatoes), canola oil (not a bad substitute, but still a substitute), etc.

Trader Joe's is a great place; try and find the goods made more locally.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when were omelettes and taquitos considered healthy foods?
laugh.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the taquitos provide anything besides protein and carbs? Dairy we can quibble about, but I'm pretty sure fruit and veggies are good for something...

velobran

Reaction score
I am not super skinny, but I am pretty thin. People who know me question why I am not a tooth pick because I eat so "healthy". I laugh and tell them just because most of my food is "natural" or "organic" doesn't mean I won't gain weight when I eat it ... those silly fastfood-aholics. They have everything wrong.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
You should be careful with the prepackaged foods from Trader Joes. A friend of mine works there and he clued me in to the fact that because they don't use artificial preservatives their prepared food is loaded with sodium. you could easily be getting more than a full daily dose of sodium from five taquitos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads