• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two New Custom Shirts! (Tailstore.com, 3rd Try)

stephen

Reaction score
So, this is my third order from tailorstore.com, taking into feedback from my second order (also see the first order). Here were the changes I made from last time: +1.0" to the Hips +0.5" to the Waist -0.5" from the Back -0.5" from the Overall Length -1.0" from the Arm Length "Square Shoulders" Option If you check out the photos from the second order, I think those changes led to some solid improvements. What do you think? I'm about to place another order. I think I'm only going to make two changes: +0.5" to the Collar (very tight if I button it.) +1.0" to the Armhole (or "wide sleeves" option -- which would be better?) (I didn't iron / wash the white striped shirt prior to putting it on... so you can see that the inner elbow wrinkles like crazy after a full day. When I bend my arm it's skin tight... maybe I have large elbows.) Any other thoughts? Would be appreciated!
img0009mg7.jpg
img0012ib5.jpg
img0010sa2.jpg
img0013qb6.jpg
img0011kp2.jpg
I've had both of these shirts for almost six months now, so they've been through the wash many times (although, the graininess is due to my bad photography skills).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look *good*

I've been on and off about whether or not to try tailorstore for my first MTM shirt and I think you have convinced me.

What level fabric are those?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have a fairly average build, I don't think it should be much of a problem finding shirts that fit OTR, IMO. I never understood why people that don't have an unusual build (athletic) feel the need to buy custom shirts.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
You seem to have a fairly average build, I don't think it should be much of a problem finding shirts that fit OTR, IMO. I never understood why people that don't have an unusual build (athletic) feel the need to buy custom shirts.

That's a much better fit than any OTR unless he happens to be the exact size of the OTR shirt.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice fit. I approve of custom shirts wholeheartedly - for a little extra, get something that fits you perfectly.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited

It's a question of buying cheap OTR that fits the neck and shoulder + $15 alteration vs. custom made...

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have been going back and forth about buying a shirt from this store. what is your opinion on the fabric?

stephen

Reaction score
I'm glad it looks like I'm a "normal size"... since I'm actually 6'4" and 165lbs, MTM seems to be the only choice for me. I envy those of you who have your pick of shirts OTR, but I've yet to find one with a 15" neck x 37" sleeve, let alone one that's cut properly for my shoulders. Both shirts were from fabrics priced at $46. I added removable collar stays for an additional $6 / shirt. I think they've raised their prices since then (blast the US dollar!), so a comparable fabric would probably be whatever their new "second tier" is. A warning: I also ordered a basic $39 poplin fabric, and it shrunk after 3-4 washings to an unwearable point. Alternatively, I have a few of their $39 oxfords that are still holding up well after a year... Any suggestions on ways to improve the fit before I place another order?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tje balance of these shirts is off. first the hips are still too tight.

the back of the shirt is much larger then the fronts.
you could use some darts to get rid of the fullness at waist level.
Carl

Real estate

Reaction score
I just checked out the website, I'm probably gonna place an order. Do you know where these are made in? Are they pre shrunk? I'm pretty slim, 5'9 135lbs, and judging from your height and weight you're pretty slim as well for someone who's 6'4". What is your bicep and forearem diameter if you don't mind me asking, I'm not sure if I should go for the slim sleeve or normal sleeve as your white one seem kinda tight when you bend your arm.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shirtmaven beat me to it. hips on a shirt should be loose. i bet you did not give a seat measure.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks like the hips could be a tad looser, then put in darts if you want to make the lower back fit tighter

I'd add a bit to the sleeve width all the way down. I think the "honeycombing" at the elbows might partly be a thick fabric but probably mostly becuase it's too tight around there.
Maybe also consider making the sleeves a tiny bit longer, that way there's more fabric to pull into the elbow when you close it.

Also, if you're planning on tucking them in, maybe get them a bit longer... if not then get it more square cut as your tail is starting to curl up (too long to be left out)

stephen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
looks like the hips could be a tad looser, then put in darts if you want to make the lower back fit tighter I'd add a bit to the sleeve width all the way down. I think the "honeycombing" at the elbows might partly be a thick fabric but probably mostly becuase it's too tight around there. Maybe also consider making the sleeves a tiny bit longer, that way there's more fabric to pull into the elbow when you close it. Also, if you're planning on tucking them in, maybe get them a bit longer... if not then get it more square cut as your tail is starting to curl up (too long to be left out)
Thanks! Great observations... I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the "honeycombing", and didn't even notice the curl on the tail...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
tje balance of these shirts is off. first the hips are still too tight.

the back of the shirt is much larger then the fronts.
you could use some darts to get rid of the fullness at waist level.
Carl

Originally Posted by a tailor
shirtmaven beat me to it. hips on a shirt should be loose. i bet you did not give a seat measure.

no escaping these guys.
worship.gif
you both should have a pinned thread, "ask the tailors" or something.

coogie

Reaction score
i'm not a pro, but i agree on the hips. Also you have a lot of bunching below your shoulders... Perhaps you can give them your across the back measurement or something

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads