• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two MTM pants, same measurements: But one fits terribly...?

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Seeking advice from the experts as I know next to nothing about clothes and even less about MTM pants.

I ordered two pants from Luxire using the exact same measurements: a pair of canvas trousers and a pair of jeans. The trousers fit perfectly, but the jeans just feel off: A bit wide in the thigh, with too much room all the way down through the ankle--including a bit of an undesirable bell bottom effect.

I took various measurements to compare the pants but they seemed more or less the same. (Worth noting, though, that I don't really know how to measure clothes.)

I laid them on top of each other, and the result is attached below. It tells the story pretty accurately about how different they feel. The jeans are on the bottom, and the areas where they show through are the areas in which the feel seems off.

Is this just the result of the pattern? Or is there some adjustment I should make to my measurements when ordering jeans? Any advice is much appreciated. I've used these measurements on Proper Cloth chinos, and they work perfectly.

Attachments

• luxire pants comparison.jpg
    luxire pants comparison.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 54

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need to clarify what you mean by “same measurements” because based on the photo and your description of the fit, the trousers and jeans do not seem to have the same measurements.

Did you send them your body measurements, or did you send them measurements for the trousers and for the jeans?

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I didn't send body measurements. I used my Proper Cloth measurements and ordered both pairs from Luxire with the *same saved measurement*.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does the line on the inside of the leg match up in your photo? I wonder if the jeans are just cut differently.

Jeans don't have to (and shouldn't) fit like tailored trousers. Hard to give feedback without seeing both pants on you.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Does the line on the inside of the leg match up in your photo? I wonder if the jeans are just cut differently.

Jeans don't have to (and shouldn't) fit like tailored trousers. Hard to give feedback without seeing both pants on you.

Nope. The line on the insides of the leg don't match up. Here is another comparison picture. The pant legs on the left match up pretty well in terms of both width and length, as can be seen. It's like the angle of the legs on the pattern for the jeans is bigger, if that's a thing?

Shall I post pictures of myself wearing each?

Attachments

• luxire pants comparison 2.jpg
    luxire pants comparison 2.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 74

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I figured the lines didn't match up. It's common for jean legs to be cut wider. I assume this is for movement, but don't know for sure.

Ultimately, I think what counts is how the pants look on you. If you want to get feedback, post some photos of you in the jeans and the shirts and shoes you'd normally wear with these pants. It helps to have some distance from the camera -- say 6 or 8 feet. If you're shooting with the camera in your hand and facing a mirror, then have that same distance from the mirror. When the camera lens is too close to the object, you get distortion.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
OK, here goes. Good Lord, I'm such a middle-aged man. It just creeps up.

Attachments

• luxire jeans worn 1.jpg
    luxire jeans worn 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 72
  • luxire jeans worn 2.jpg
    luxire jeans worn 2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 74
  • luxire trousers worn 1.jpg
    luxire trousers worn 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 86
  • luxire trousers worn 2.jpg
    luxire trousers worn 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 91

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the trousers can be cleaned up a little. Or perhaps they can just be pressed. They seem like they could fall cleaner. However, I'm not a tailor, so I would leave it to a tailor to judge. You could take them into a tailoring shop and see what they can do. My guess is that they're a touch too long and a little tight around the hips. But again, I'm not a tailor.

The jeans seem to fit well. Jeans don't have to fall as cleanly as tailored trousers. And this specific cut seems to work for you. I think they look nice.

TheEldarGuy

Reaction score
the jeans look like they are a relax fit, where the trousers look like a slim fit, but also the cuff width looks a little smaller than it should be. When you flatten the pants out, what's the 1/2 cuff width of each; finally, in all made to measure there's a small tolerance for error, so the jeans may be out by +1cm and the trousers might be under by -1cm.

When you wear the trousers, do they scrape along the back of your calf-muscle, and finally, when you sit down, the trouser cuff, does it lift too high and then you have to jiggle it to get it to length again?

All of that is a sign the cuff size is too small.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t see the waist with the untucked shirt. Typically trousers would, or should, have a higher rise than jeans so using the same measurement for both would not be practical in my opinion. If my jeans fit like my suit trousers they would look weird.

I buy shirts online from Proper Cloth (having been measured in person at their NYC shop) but I never buy trousers on the web; I want to try them on first. As others have noted, different fabrics will fall differently so measurements are only half the battle. And jeans are the only clothes where I listen to the opinion of a woman. Any woman will do.

Finally, don’t worry about your age. You have plenty of time if you don’t drink too much and drive too fast.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
I think the trousers can be cleaned up a little. Or perhaps they can just be pressed. They seem like they could fall cleaner. However, I'm not a tailor, so I would leave it to a tailor to judge. You could take them into a tailoring shop and see what they can do. My guess is that they're a touch too long and a little tight around the hips. But again, I'm not a tailor.

The jeans seem to fit well. Jeans don't have to fall as cleanly as tailored trousers. And this specific cut seems to work for you. I think they look nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what "cleaned up" means--are you referring to the general sloppiness below the knee in the pictures I posted? Here's a second go, with the waist showing and the pants slightly higher on the waist. I realized I may have been wearing them a bit low (inadvertently) when I first posted the pictures. The hips feel fine--how does one know if the fit is too tight in the hips?

Attachments

• luxire trousers worn with waist showing 1.jpg
    luxire trousers worn with waist showing 1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 63
  • luxire trousers worn with waist showing 2.jpg
    luxire trousers worn with waist showing 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 57

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
the jeans look like they are a relax fit, where the trousers look like a slim fit, but also the cuff width looks a little smaller than it should be. When you flatten the pants out, what's the 1/2 cuff width of each; finally, in all made to measure there's a small tolerance for error, so the jeans may be out by +1cm and the trousers might be under by -1cm.

When you wear the trousers, do they scrape along the back of your calf-muscle, and finally, when you sit down, the trouser cuff, does it lift too high and then you have to jiggle it to get it to length again?

All of that is a sign the cuff size is too small.

1. The cuff width on these pants is the same: a hair over 7.5 inches.

2. "When you wear the trousers, do they scrape along the back of your calf-muscle, and finally, when you sit down, the trouser cuff, does it lift too high and then you have to jiggle it to get it to length again?"
The trousers don't scrape along the back of the calf--I have small (low-circumference) tibiae, and relatively small calf muscles.
The trouser cuff does rise when I sit, but I don't know that it feels excessive. Certainly, there's no adjustment required when I stand. It simply falls exactly where I'd like it to.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what "cleaned up" means--are you referring to the general sloppiness below the knee in the pictures I posted? Here's a second go, with the waist showing and the pants slightly higher on the waist. I realized I may have been wearing them a bit low (inadvertently) when I first posted the pictures. The hips feel fine--how does one know if the fit is too tight in the hips?

The pants are much better here.

If you ever put on pants and see the pockets flare out, it's likely because the pants are too tight around the hips. By flare out, I mean that the entry of the pocket doesn't sit flat. So you end up getting the shape of elephant ears when looking at the pants from the front. But the pockets here look nice and so does the general line of the trousers. Nice stuff!

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Can’t see the waist with the untucked shirt. Typically trousers would, or should, have a higher rise than jeans so using the same measurement for both would not be practical in my opinion. If my jeans fit like my suit trousers they would look weird.

I buy shirts online from Proper Cloth (having been measured in person at their NYC shop) but I never buy trousers on the web; I want to try them on first. As others have noted, different fabrics will fall differently so measurements are only half the battle. And jeans are the only clothes where I listen to the opinion of a woman. Any woman will do.

Finally, don’t worry about your age. You have plenty of time if you don’t drink too much and drive too fast.

For anyone who's interested, I've taken a picture of myself in a pair of Sene Studio jeans I'd intended to send back. They feel pretty good, except that they're a bit tight in the thigh--I can feel my quads/hamstrings pushing against the fabric. Since the fabric is a high quality Japanese stretch denim, it isn't so bad. What do you guys think of these?

The problem with the Luxire jeans I originally posted is that a) it seems to me that there's simply too much extra fabric on the sides of the thighs--I can grab well over an inch, and b) there's a bit of a bell-bottom effect starting at the knee. I suppose I only care about these things because I read somewhere that I should. In terms of feel, they feel just fine. What confounds me is that I spot checked the measurements and they seem to be correct--which means that the entire issue here is a difference in the pattern?

Attachments

• Sene jeans 1.jpg
    Sene jeans 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Sene jeans 2.jpg
    Sene jeans 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 146

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads