• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Monitor Set-up

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I had to lift up the heatsink to change the CPU. The new CPU is literally new. That is, it was out of a sealed box. I read several tutorials which said not to add any grease. The factory grease is fine as long as you don't touch it, which I did not.

I installed the new CPU and then replaced the old heatsink.

FWIW, I did not detect any grease on the new heatsink (the one I was unable to install).

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MAnton
I had to lift up the heatsink to change the CPU. The new CPU is literally new. That is, it was out of a sealed box. I read several tutorials which said not to add any grease. The factory grease is fine as long as you don't touch it, which I did not.

I installed the new CPU and then replaced the old heatsink.

FWIW, I did not detect any grease on the new heatsink (the one I was unable to install).

IMO I would add that silver grease stuff

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
IMO I would add that silver grease stuff

$#!+. Any tips on how? And where? And how much?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newegg has the Arctic Silver stuff along with more generic stuff, but don't sweat it. Monitor your CPU temperature, and if it doesn't approach 60C (when the CPU's pretty loaded), nothing bad will happen.

--Andre

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just finally set up 2x monitor this weekend. I got an old Gforce card from a friend and have one via VgA and one VIA DVI. I have my 20" wide as my main and an old 17" as my secondary. Still not really sure what I am going to use this for since I dont actually do work on this computer, just fap to Appreciation.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to lift up the heatsink to change the CPU. The new CPU is literally new. That is, it was out of a sealed box. I read several tutorials which said not to add any grease. The factory grease is fine as long as you don't touch it, which I did not. I installed the new CPU and then replaced the old heatsink. FWIW, I did not detect any grease on the new heatsink (the one I was unable to install).
IIRC when they're new, the grease is usually supplied on the heatsink, not the CPU. Did the new CPU have a grease tab on it? I mean, if there was grease on the cpu or the heatsink from the factory, it would have been very noticeable, probably a square tab about 3/4" in diameter. It sounds like you didn't put any grease on it at all. I'm saying this from memory but I believe this is how it was when I put my last computer together.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Newegg has the Arctic Silver stuff along with more generic stuff, but don't sweat it. Monitor your CPU temperature, and if it doesn't approach 60C (when the CPU's pretty loaded), nothing bad will happen.

--Andre

Do I need to buy some special device for this?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to lift up the heatsink to change the CPU. The new CPU is literally new. That is, it was out of a sealed box. I read several tutorials which said not to add any grease. The factory grease is fine as long as you don't touch it, which I did not. I installed the new CPU and then replaced the old heatsink. FWIW, I did not detect any grease on the new heatsink (the one I was unable to install).
This really depends. Sometimes it can cake and harden a bit. Depending on how you took it off, the distribution of the grease could be wrong. I always clean any surface with grease on it. Since you went back to the old heatsink that had residual grease on it, you probably should have cleaned it. But like A Y says, if you're not hitting high temps, you're probably fine. Buy this stuff if you didn't get thermal grease with your cpu. It comes with instructions and is easy to apply. Think of all the g33k cred you'll have once you're done!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, no! 38!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$16? You can get white thermal grease at radio shack for $2, at least you could ten years ago or whenever I bought the tube that I've still got.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
39! Help! But so far I have not cracked 40 ... yet!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My department's computer lab has several dual-monitor setups. I love them.

Someday, if I am a big-timer and have my own office, I will have a two or three monitor set up but I'll be able to slide a screen over them so I can actually get stuff done.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manton, download this program and let your computer do something useful when you're not on it. http://folding.stanford.edu/ Check your cpu temp once that's been running for a while.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads