• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-eyelet blucher fit?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but I have no experience with two-eyelet bluchers. The spacing between the quarters on these looks too large to me. Don't know if that is a problem with the design of these shoes (AE Lamberts) or whether they're just too small for me. Input welcome. I'm still not sold on the leather on these so they may go back regardless.

lambert-vi.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks a bit wide to me. If it bugs you now, you might never get used to it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Maybe a stupid question, but I have no experience with two-eyelet bluchers. The spacing between the quarters on these looks too large to me. Don't know if that is a problem with the design of these shoes (AE Lamberts) or whether they're just too small for me. Input welcome. I'm still not sold on the leather on these so they may go back regardless.

[]

The quarters on the two eyelet bluchers I have close a lot more than that. Those look off to me.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Looks too wide for my taste also. I have a similar problem with most Derby's, usually go up 1/2 a size as a rule.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no first-hand intel on my part, but I would imagine they will close closer once the leather relaxes around your foot a bit... or maybe not. This might be an argument to get over the wideness if you loved everything about the shoe otherwise, but since you're on the fence to begin with, I'd say send them back.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely need a wider shoe.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
You definitely need a wider shoe.

It looks like the width is fine, but the instep is too low.

I'll say that a different model with a higher instep would be more ideal, but if you stick with this model, you probably should get something wider and tighten it up with the laces.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the instep?

It looks like the shoe is too narrow to me as well, which may be why there is such a large space.. I know when I try on narrow shoes my foot sticks out over the sole alot like that.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's the instep too (basically, in this context, the top of your foot above the arch). Even if I could go wider, I'm not sure I'd want to because of the way that would affect the balls of the feet. I think they're going back, but I didn't know if I was missing something about about the two-eyelet aesthetic or something. Thanks all for the input.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about comfort and personal preference.

I just got a pair of Lands End 2 eyelet, and the quarters almost touch.

If they are comfortable and you are fine with the appearance, they are fine.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's all about comfort and personal preference.

I just got a pair of Lands End 2 eyelet, and the quarters almost touch.

If they are comfortable and you are fine with the appearance, they are fine.

They're fairly comfortable, but I think the quarters look odd like that. That's why I asked. It looked wrong to me. Maybe it's a design feature (or bug), or maybe it's a fit issue particular to me, but I'm not happy with it. I wanted to like these shoes, but even at the price (~$171 from shoes.com sale), I think the fit is wrong. Maybe I'll post them on B&S before shipping them back.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, personally, I wouldn't like it if they fit like that.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a problem with AEs in general, but I've tried on several pairs of their shoes (including a 9.5EE in the Park Ave), only to find that the instep is too low.

This is peculiar, as I wasn't even aware that I had a high instep until that time, as my other shoes don't have that problem. I was aware that I had quite a wide foot, hence the 9.5EE (and this is despite the fact that I take a 9EE in most other shoes, including Florsheim).

I've therefore concluded that regardless of the wide fitting, or whether I size up half a size, AEs most likely won't fit me because (well, at least the three that I tried on, both bal and blucher) just had too low an instep.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I don't know if it's a problem with AEs in general, but I've tried on several pairs of their shoes (including a 9.5EE in the Park Ave), only to find that the instep is too low.

park avenue is on a low instep last (the 5), so that's not surprising. in fact, i think the 5 last is AE's lowest fitting last.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that AEs have a pretty high instep actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics