• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Button to Three Button

jeskali

Reaction score
I have a great tailor. Can he take a 2 button jacket and add a button without ruining the jacket and lapel?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
He can add a buttonhole and button. What he cannot do -- at least not well -- is change the roll of the lapel, or the shape of the fronts.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG can do much MORE
smile.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chances are you'll end up with a ruined two-button suit. It's best not to monkey around with something so fundamental about a jacket.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is to stick with what you have. The lapel won't look right if you try and add the third button. Make your next jacket a 3 button and enjoy them both for what they are.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What's wrong with a 2 btn suit?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yup, I am a little late on the scene here, but I have tried this twice and both times it did not work out leaving me with a ruined 2 button rather than a nice 3 button.

The roll of the lapel never loses its original shape, meaning that it is pressed into place in two places, and that just looks horrid.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He can add a buttonhole and button. What he cannot do -- at least not well -- is change the roll of the lapel, or the shape of the fronts.

Essentially he can make is a 3 roll 2.

cordovan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads