• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Button Polo Navy Blazer

nurktwin

Reaction score
Thoughts on the quality of this Polo Navy blazer? Anyone have it? http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=4342728
pPOLO2-8283942_standard_v330.jpg

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
nice, fully canvassed, made in italy. But if you're paying that price. I'd definitely buy it from the store.

Thanks! How is the fit? Slim? Do these ever go on sale?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the polo label, but I have a black label sport coat, and it's a very slim, modern fit that I like. I'm guessing the polo is less such. They do go on sale, in fact, last week or so you could have gotten that 25% off.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'm not sure about the polo label, but I have a black label sport coat, and it's a very slim, modern fit that I like. I'm guessing the polo is less such. They do go on sale, in fact, last week or so you could have gotten that 25% off.

Yikes--I just missed the sale! Anyone know when the next sale is?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vty8686
I thought polo suits were half canvassed? No??

Pretty sure they're fully canvassed. Made by Corneliani

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Pretty sure they're fully canvassed. Made by Corneliani

So much misinformation in this thread.

OP, search for Polo and you'll find the answers. There must be a billion threads on the topic. Short answer, Corneliani, not fully canvassed, canvassing in lapels, shoulders, chest; more than a typical 'half canvass.' Buy it during RL Private Sale coming up in Nov., it will be anywhere from 30-40% off plus an additional 15%. Most will tell you that's still too expensive; decide for yourself. I've had one for a few years and it's held up great.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
So much misinformation in this thread.

OP, search for Polo and you'll find the answers. There must be a billion threads on the topic. Short answer, Corneliani, not fully canvassed, canvassing in lapels, shoulders, chest; more than a typical 'half canvass.'

I've never owned a Polo suit, but this thread and many other that I have come across in the past indicate that PRL suits are fully canvassed.

Maybe some PRL jackets are fully canvassed (including the back), and others are half canvassed as you describe?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I've never owned a Polo suit, but this thread and many other that I have come across in the past indicate that PRL suits are fully canvassed. Maybe some PRL jackets are fully canvassed (including the back), and others are half canvassed as you describe?
I see nothing in that thread that suggests that Polo by Corneliani is fully canvassed. Even if it did, it would be incorrect. Every thread that I recall contains the same accurate information as I mentioned above. Perhaps more importantly, every Polo by Corneliani garment I've handled has had more or less the construction I describe, except for some of the specialty cuts such as "Grant Soft" which is a completely unlined, unpadded, unstructured silhouette. Old Polo made in USA was fully canvassed, as was the short-lived Ralph Lauren Signature label, which was also made by Corneliani. However, it was not branded under the Polo label. The back of a jacket never contains canvassing.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see nothing in that thread that suggests that Polo by Corneliani is fully canvassed. Even if it did, it would be incorrect. Every thread that I recall contains the same accurate information as I mentioned above. Perhaps more importantly, every Polo by Corneliani garment I've handled has had more or less the construction I describe, except for some of the specialty cuts such as "Grant Soft" which is a completely unlined, unpadded, unstructured silhouette.

Old Polo made in USA was fully canvassed, as was the short-lived Ralph Lauren Signature label, which was also made by Corneliani. However, it was not branded under the Polo label.

The back of a jacket never contains canvassing.

Meant to say bottom instead of back. You are indeed right about the PRL by Corneliani being half canvassed. Corneliani mainline, however, is fully canvassed.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27934

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Thanks! How is the fit? Slim? Do these ever go on sale?

If you have no idea about the fit, why are you interested in buying it?
confused.gif

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing in that thread that suggests that Polo by Corneliani is fully canvassed. Even if it did, it would be incorrect. Every thread that I recall contains the same accurate information as I mentioned above. Perhaps more importantly, every Polo by Corneliani garment I've handled has had more or less the construction I describe, except for some of the specialty cuts such as "Grant Soft" which is a completely unlined, unpadded, unstructured silhouette. Old Polo made in USA was fully canvassed, as was the short-lived Ralph Lauren Signature label, which was also made by Corneliani. However, it was not branded under the Polo label. The back of a jacket never contains canvassing.
So much misinformation in this thread. OP, search for Polo and you'll find the answers. There must be a billion threads on the topic. Short answer, Corneliani, not fully canvassed, canvassing in lapels, shoulders, chest; more than a typical 'half canvass.' Buy it during RL Private Sale coming up in Nov., it will be anywhere from 30-40% off plus an additional 15%. Most will tell you that's still too expensive; decide for yourself. I've had one for a few years and it's held up great.
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Nice thread crap.
Uh, I believe I saved you both the trouble of unearthing this information from past threads, in addition to correcting the misinformation that was provided to you. That is a thread crap? If you start a new thread on every specific navy blazer you're considering, while at the same time making it clear that you have not done a bit of due diligence before posing the question, you should expect to get responses thusly. To answer your question, and so you don't start yet another thread, the Polo cuts below are not super slim but have a great shape OTR, one that is easily slimmed if necessary. This, along with their availability at discount, makes them popular among forumites. Shoulders are quite soft, the garment is lightweight, the lapel has a wonderful roll. The blazers you're looking at online are either Polo I or II. Basic models I can think of off the top of my head are typically characterized by the following details: Polo I: 2-3 buttons, one vent Polo II: 2-3 buttons, two vents Polo III: 2 buttons, ticket pocket, two vents Polo IV: 3 buttons, ticket pocket, two vents Some say that III and IV fit slimmer, however, I have not had that experience, and many RL SAs have told me otherwise. IME they all fit similarly. Other models (forgetting some): Princeton: slim lapels, much slimmer chest/body, one vent Grant Soft: unstructured, uncanvassed, unpadded, 3 patch pockets, two vents Garrison: FU large ass lapels, roped shoulder without much padding, more shape Bradford: Slimmer lapels, slimmer body, soft (I believe) shoulders The last two were launched last year as new models.

nurktwin

Reaction score

If you start a new thread on every specific navy blazer you're considering, while at the same time making it clear that you have not done a bit of due diligence before posing the question, you should expect to get responses thusly.

To answer your question, and so you don't start yet another thread, the Polo cuts below are not super slim but have a great shape OTR, one that is easily slimmed if necessary. This, along with their availability at discount, makes them popular among forumites. Shoulders are quite soft, the garment is lightweight, the lapel has a wonderful roll. The blazers you're looking at online are either Polo I or II.

Basic models I can think of off the top of my head are typically characterized by the following details:
Polo I: 2-3 buttons, one vent
Polo II: 2-3 buttons, two vents
Polo III: 2 buttons, ticket pocket, two vents
Polo IV: 3 buttons, ticket pocket, two vents

Yikes! Way to condescend.

I tried on a "Polo 1" navy blazer a week ago while traveling and looked for it online when I returned. Hence, my post here trying to determine if this was the same blazer, a slimmer cut. It certainly looks the same in the photo. The brass buttons were muted, not shiny.

The one I tried on was a "Polo 1" DOUBLE VENTED (not a single vent like you note above) and a slimmer cut. Hence my question about the cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads