• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two button navy blazer

darkoak

Reaction score
I just saw former President George HW Bush at the Super Bowl opening ceremonies, wearing a navy blue blazer with his trademark repp ties. What struck me however was that he buttoned both buttons of his blazer. I thought you were supposed to just button the top one. Comments?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to just button the top one.
You are.  He's an old man.  Or maybe it's a Skull and Bones thing.   In any case, don't button the bottom button.  Ever.

tdial

Reaction score
Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
r746887145.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican. Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?

tdial

Reaction score
(tdial @ Feb. 06 2005,20:23) Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican. Â Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away, Manton.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Too bad. A nation turns its lonely eyes to them.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's compare and contrast shall we?

Bush:

Shirt sleeves are not visible, both buttons are buttoned, and suit is improperly cut as seen by all the wrinkles in the side of his suit above the flap pocket, lapels seem rather flat.

Clinton:

Visible shirt sleeves, suit has a minimal wait curvature, but is cut perfectly for the "˜Washington' look, only the top button is buttoned, lapels curve nicely and seem to have some body.

I guess Clinton won this sartorial round.

Jon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When he is not wearing Donna Karan, Clinton would win most sartorial rounds. (I heard that he and Donna had a falling out. If true, it's the best thing that ever happened to his style.)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When he is not wearing Donna Karan, Clinton would win most sartorial rounds.  (I heard that he and Donna had a falling out.  If true, it's the best thing that ever happened to his style.)
Anyone whose weight fluctuates a lot has to think carefully about his clothes.

Don't ask me how I know.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Bush and Clinton's suits in that picture is like night and day. Bush's look like it came straight out of Men's Wearhouse.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the impression that neither guy showed up in Jacksonville with those jackets. What are the chances that both Clinton and Bush own the exact same jacket?

At any rate, neither guy looked particularly good in those jackets.

Why exactly was Clinton taking part in a tribute to WWII soldiers?

Phil

Reaction score
I figure Clinton was taking part in a WWII tribute because he used to the President of the United States. Love him or hate him, thats what he used to be. Last I checked you didnt have to fight in WWII to be a part of a tribute. Thats kind of the idea of a "tribute" no?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
The only guy who looked good in his suit all night was Michael Douglas, although McCartney tried hard to get the rock star look down.  

Clinton looked and sounded very uncomfortable during the entire tribute, even turning the attention away from soldiers in warzones now after a nice alley-oop from Bush.  [non-sequitor follows] Anyone else think those guys must be getting to be buddies now, between the tsunami relief, and the Superbowl and all?

Tom

tdial

Reaction score
The only guy who looked good in his suit all night was Michael Douglas, although McCartney tried hard to get the rock star look down.  

Clinton looked and sounded very uncomfortable during the entire tribute, even turning the attention away from soldiers in warzones now after a nice alley-oop from Bush.  [non-sequitor follows] Anyone else think those guys must be getting to be buddies now, between the tsunami relief, and the Superbowl and all?

Tom
I can't even enjoy a simple half-time show anymore thanks to this forum and Ask Andy. While I agree with you about Douglas's suit looking nice, he left the top button unbuttoned on his three button suit that was designed to have the top button buttoned. He had no lapel roll, which made the suit look unbalanced without the top button buttoned. Sigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads