• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-button collars - Purposes? etc.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering requesting a two button collar for my next MTM shirt order. However, I've never even tried on shirts with two buttons on the collar. I have a somewhat long neck and I think it may look good on me.

So, for those of you who have shirts with this type of collar, why did you purchase it and does it look alright if worn without a tie? I rarely wear ties, even though I like them a lot.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Two-button collars do help those with longer necks. However, badly executed two-button collars look gimmicky and silly. You'd want to get one that looks like the collar below. I have a couple and they look fine without a tie. Def don't get one that resembles the two-button collars shown on the Jantzen Tailor website.

Picture1-4.png

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all my shirts are two-buttons, because I have a long neck and plus I like the quasi-Edwardian look. People have told me it looks more formal, others (older guys with less taste
wink.gif
) have said it looks strange. You have to see it from the side and in movement to understand what it really looks like, but here's a frontal shot: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g.../yao3piece.jpg I have even more cutaway versions of it I got tailored in Asia that show a lot of collar band. Anyway, I think it looks great and I'll never go back to low-rise american collars again, they just look fake and artificial to me since the tie and collar has always historically been fairly high up on the neck.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
all my shirts are two-buttons, because I have a long neck and plus I like the quasi-Edwardian look. People have told me it looks more formal, others (older guys with less taste
wink.gif
) have said it looks strange. You have to see it from the side and in movement to understand what it really looks like, but here's a frontal shot: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g.../yao3piece.jpg I have even more cutaway versions of it I got tailored in Asia that show a lot of collar band. Anyway, I think it looks great and I'll never go back to low-rise american collars again, they just look fake and artificial to me since the tie and collar has always historically been fairly high up on the neck.

Why one side of your collar is higher than the other?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
Great collar. Maker?

Mimmo Siviglia in Rome (stock image - not my shirt).

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Two-button collars do help those with longer necks. However, badly executed two-button collars look gimmicky and silly. You'd want to get one that looks like the collar below. I have a couple and they look fine without a tie. Def don't get one that resembles the two-button collars shown on the Jantzen Tailor website.

+

confused.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
+

confused.gif

Well, which ones do you like then? The pic above is probably the best executed two-button collar I have seen.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't get too carried away and try to look like Karl.

karl.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

Picture1-4.png

This is the one that looks like fashion gimmick versus the two vertical buttons.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
This is the one that looks like fashion gimmick versus the two vertical buttons.

Actually, by having the top button askew, it actually hods the collar together much better than the vertical two-buttons. While wearing a tie, this makes the two buttons completely unnoticeable.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

In my experience, the staggered two-button sits much better on the neck. YMMV.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Just don't get too carried away and try to look like Karl.
Give him a break ... he NEEDS the attention ... craves it to his core.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the two button look for a little extra detail at the neck without a tie. I'm not a big fan if I actually need to button them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads