1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Twill non-iron vs poplin for tropical heat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexwllms, Jan 11, 2012.

1. alexwllms

alexwllms New Member

Hello all,

Have followed SF for a while now but this is my first post.

I'm about to take up a job offer in Guangzhou, China and I am looking to buy a selection of white shirts before I leave the UK. I normally enjoy twill non-iron as they seem softer, wrinkle less and give a more refined look. However, with temperature in GZ reaching on average 32c (90F), 84% humidity, I was thinking a lighter weave would be a better choice?

However, would a white twill non-iron benefit from being wrinkle free longer in the heat, or would the extra weight be a nightmare in the humid climate?

Or would a white poplin (must be ironed) weave help with heat dispersion?

Any advice from gents who work in hotter climes would be really welcome.

Alex.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I don't know about twill vs poplin, but you might want to consider getting linen shirts for the hottest days.

3. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

Nothing is going to help with the wrinkles in that heat and humidity. Just get a lighter shirt which disperses heat, and be prepared to change shirts more than once a day.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  4. lostron

lostron Senior member

poplin is often lighter than twill but it can stick to your skin if you sweat too much

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wear linen or madras cotton and poplin only if you must.

6. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Isn't poplin better? 100% cotton is still best for summer.