• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweeds for sportcoats: which ones to pick?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since you've all been so helpful with my previous two threads on flannels and double-breasted suits, I thought I might stir up some more discussion about tweeds for sportcoats. On Monday I'm going to pick three of these tweeds (the one on the far left has already been made-up):

cloths.jpg

I'm pretty settled on picking the two other cloths on bolts; the question really comes down to which of the two non-patterned cloths to pick from (the two in the swatch books). The blue one is a Porter & Harding Thornproof; I have no idea what the greenish-brown one is. But for what it's worth, I thought the greenish-brown one had a nicer hand.

Any other ideas? Other tweeds to think about?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it is impossible to make a bad choice in a tweed.

Something in Porter's could be from several sources: they're all good.

Ask to see a P&H Glenroyal. 430 grams, so lighter than the Thornproof. I think the Glenroyal is as light as one can go and still get that tweedy goodness.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No suggestion at all, just wanted to say that the brown one with the red overcheck is AMAZING!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think it is impossible to make a bad choice in a tweed.

Something in Porter's could be from several sources: they're all good.

Ask to see a P&H Glenroyal. 430 grams, so lighter than the Thornproof. I think the Glenroyal is as light as one can go and still get that tweedy goodness.

I'll keep that in mind. You know, to be honest, I didn't even pay attention to the weights of the cloths. I wind up not knowing anything about any of the cloths I pick.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No suggestion at all, just wanted to say that the brown one with the red overcheck is AMAZING!

Yeah, it may be my favorite. It has some green in it too, if I recall.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we have similar skin tones and hair and I just don't like how these colors look on us, or rather I think blue colors look better. I have a few sportcoats in a similar color to the second one and it never looks as good as my blues or even dark greys.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I really like the ones on the bolts. I tend not to like bluish tweeds, though, so I'd go for the greenish-brown.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
the question really comes down to which of the two non-patterned cloths to pick from

Why would you get a non-patterned tweed jacket? I feel like a tweed jacket demands pattern. That way, they go with your solid but mottled trousers. What would you wear a non-patterned jacket with? Patterned trousers? How many pairs of patterned trousers do you own?

I dunno, I am just building my wardrobe right now, but I don't envision getting a solid odd jacket for at least the next 6 jackets.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I dunno, I am just building my wardrobe right now, but I don't envision getting a solid odd jacket for at least the next 6 jackets.

The (solid) navy blazer is the quintessential odd jacket, usually the first one purchased and the most versatile.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How about a tweed double-breasted suit?

That is very intriguing, but so very unuseful as well. Maybe 10 years and 20 suits later.

Originally Posted by AlanC
The (solid) navy blazer is the quintessential odd jacket, usually the first one purchased and the most versatile.

I have one, but I'm always reluctant to wear it. Gets boring. I liked the blue tweed because it's sort of a more interesting subsitute.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How about a tweed double-breasted suit?

I had one and want another.

nioh

Reaction score
I prefer the greenish-brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads