• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed wanted.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am thinking of having a trench style coat made in a tweed.

And giving a little bow to the esteemed Duke of Windsor, the tweed should be particularly flamboyant, in a colored large windowpane check on a grey back.

Are there any particular sources?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grey limits the choices of tweeds severely. I looked through a couple tweed bunches and found a 560g grey herringbone with a 2.25"x2.75" royal blue overpane, a 560g mid grey/geen/fawn (created by a mix of at least six different shades of yarns) with 2.25"x2.375" double width overpane formed by a royal blue in the horizontal lines and a lighter blue int he vertical, and a 435g overall dark grey (light grey/charcoal/olive-ish brown) with a thick, triple width 2.375"x2.75" royal overpane. I do not think they are really flamboyant, but I suppose patterned overcoats aren't seen much these days. If the descriptions appeal to you, I may be able to supply pictures.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are not a member of London Lounge, you might wish to investigate there.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that the very best source is still W. Bill Ltd., in the general Saville Row area. They should have any Donegal, Harris, or even a Shetland for you.
13 New Burlington Street, London, W1S 3BG

Aportnoy already mentioned Minnis (Hardy).

However, since you live in California, you might want to consider a lighter weight tweed cloth. That could expand your color and pattern possibilities. My tailor made a nice DB overcoat for our southern California "winters." I recall he used only eleven or twelve ounce cloth. It is fully lined. Therefore, the weight of the cloth and lining provide sufficient weight for "drape" without making the coat too heavy or too warm for this area's climate. Your bay area weather is not that much different.

The eleven ounce Breanish Harris Tweeds below captured from the Harris Tweed Shop's website would certainly be flamboyant on an overcoat's expanse.
http://www.harristweedshop.com/

BreanishGlenCalanais.jpg

BreanishGlenMhor.jpg

BreanishStornowayBlue.jpg

Now . . . if you are talking Minsk weather, that calls for a coat of another weight. That old Sulka camel hair Ulster coat in my avatar must be at least twenty-ounce cloth. But, it sure is warm!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most suitings are going to be too subdued. In addition to W. Bill, contact the North Highland Tweed company for swatches. They have the real thing. If you are a London Lounge member there are images of their offerings in the tweed folder.

My country coat was made from a 15 oz. Donegal from Magee in Ireland. The weight is perfect for California.

I don't think Magee has a web presence for cloth but if you contact them they usually offer four or five hand loomed Donegals that are wonderful.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, I am looking for something that shouts Tweed in the loudest voice of English eccentricism. Whoopee, some of those sound quite interesting; royal blue seems to be nice for an overpane. I will also check out some of the mills and ask if they have any swatches or images. I've been to the London Lounge and did not find anything applicable. This is nice but the pane is a bit too thin:
breanish-grey.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blue panes are actually lighter than royal. Closer to a darker electric blue. The 560g herringone
DSC01056.jpg
The 435g/14oz
DSC01057.jpg
This one is the green/grey. Colour is accurate.
DSC01058.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those tweed bunches are quite nice, whoopee. What is their source, please?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with FullCanvas regarding W. Bill. I just looked through their books searching for jacket fabric. They have a huge selection and I saw weights up to 20 oz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads