• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed waistcoat

SurreyBod

Reaction score
So I really like this tweed waistcoat. I've tried it on and like the fit and the overall look. I could easily see it as something to wear of an evening probably with a soft textured shirt and a pair of moleskins.

https://www.cordings.co.uk/barleycorn-tweed-waistcoat.html

I don't really want to go for the full jacket. If I do that then the next obvious step is the trousers as well and that just seems like the tweed version of "double denim" (or even treble).

https://www.cordings.co.uk/barleycorn-tweed-jacket.html

So thoughts please? If I go for this waistcoat, what should the rest of the outfit look like.

I really like the waistcoat & want to buy it :)

paxonus

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the casual tweed waistcoat. You are right about the choice of pants. One point to consider is the lapel. The one you are considering is designed to be worn under a jacket since the lapel ends at the shoulder seam. I prefer one with a full collar when worn without a jacket, like this

https://m.orvis.com/category/Vest/9G7P/

SurreyBod

Reaction score
Thanks for the link & the thoughts about the lapel/collar. I get what you're saying that the full collar one can be worn without a jacket.

I've only seen a tweed waistcoat worn either on its own or under a matching tweed jacket. Has anyone seen it look good word with anything else? I can see examples of a tweed jacket with a non-tweed waistcoat (for example a coloured one) but none the other way around.

paxonus

Reaction score
When layering, you usually wear the heaviest and coarsest material on the outside. Given the nature of tweed, it usually doesn't layer well with anything other than tweed, and then, as you say, usually with a matching jacket. I agree that a tweed vest, even worn with a tweed jacket, only looks right when they are the same.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:

- If you want to match the tweed waistcoat with another garment but not as in a 3-piece suit, it usually looks better matching the trousers than the jacket. That said, some people find tweed trousers end up being rarely worn.
- A very practical alternative is to wear matching trousers+jacket and then a different waistcoat, such as the tweed you like. Seen it / done it many times and it can look great as long as the colours are complementary.
- Paxonus' point about relative roughness is numerically correct but I would not see it as a rule. A very rough tweed would indeed look odd paired with a superfine worsted suit but a middling tweed with flannel or a sturdy worsted is fine.
- I think that rather subdued barleycorn would go perfectly well with a dark grey flannel or even a navy flannel.
- Obviously it's better to remove your jacket than perspire like a slug but I think the notion of wearing a waistcoat with no jacket around at all verges of hipsterism / bar-tender look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads