• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed w/ a buttondown

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I normally eschew buttondown collars with suits, I just picked up a softer tweed 3-button suit, and although my plans are to wear it with tattersall and solid spread collar shirts, I was wondering what this august group might think of pairing a buttondown collar with it (both with bowties and long ties)? Would your opinion change if I was wearing brown monkstraps or/versus cap-toes with it?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I also do not like the the look of a button down shirt with a suit but in this case I think it would be quite appropriate especially with a bow tie. I would wear a wool or cashmere four in hand for another combination.

Gary

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that a tweed jacket with anything but a button-down looks like a mismatch. I'd feel differently about a tweed suit though...

mdfiodor

Reaction score
Just think that, essentially, both the tweed jacket and the navy blazer are sport jackets. That means that you can use them with a button down collar, that esentially is a sport shirt.

Take note that "tweed" and "soft weave" are incompatible. You may wear an oxfort button down shirt with your tweed jacket or your navy blazer, in case these are genuine tweeds and navy blazer (heavy wool, "sarga" in spanish, I don´t know the word in english).

If you have a soft tweed or a cashmere navy, don´t worry about the shirt. You´re not wearing an original tweed or navy jacket.

smile.gif

J.A.
Madrid, Spain

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The BD collar with a tweed suit is a perfect combination. I suppose the monks work slightly better with that combination, but there's no reason you couldn't wear the caps with it.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The BD collar with a tweed suit is a perfect combination.

I agree entirely, and that's why I would never wear that combination. I am able to, and do, wear virtually all collar styles, but the penchant for bd collars in this country has rendered them ubiquitous and generally mundane when worn with exactly what one would expect. Although it is not original (see Astaire , Grant, Agnelli, et al.), I like the look of a bd collar with a dressy suit and tie. One of my all time favorites is a navy solid or chalk striped DB suit, suppressed waist and side vents, with a white broadcloth full roll bd and silver tie, either in a solid twill or a woven pattern. Add brown suede monk straps and a bold plaid or paisley silk pocket square, and I feel well dressed for any daytime occasion, business or pleasure, where a tie is either necessary or appropriate. With a tweed suit, I like TCN's inclination to wear a dressier collar, spread or pinned. For a more casual tweed suited look, I'd still avoid the bd and wear a darker solid or patterned shirt with a soft collar, maybe a lighter weight cotton flannel, and knit tie. No rules, just me.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a ton of BDs and tweed.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
*Wishes he could afford to do the same as Ed.*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads