• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed Suiting on a Budget

cewin

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am getting married in January. I live in the northeast US and it will be quite cold with possible snow. To go along with the winter theme I think it would be great to have my groomsmen and myself in grey tweed suits. However, the problem that I've run into is that the selection is sparse and very expensive. I wouldn't mind if it was just myself, but I would feel terrible asking my groomsmen to drop $700+ on my wedding. In years past, I've seen a decent tweed selection from Banana Republic but haven't seen much this year. H&M used to do a really cheap grey tweed suit. Not great quality, but really wouldn't be so bad for just one day. I think they discontinued it though. JCrew has some tweed options this year, but they are overpriced.

So I'm coming to you guys for help and recommendations. We're looking for grey tweed suits that are under $300. Medium grey, not too dark, not too light. We can do some tailoring, but we're looking for something more slim fitting. Four of us are about average height 5'9" - 5'11"; 145-175lbs. One is 6'3"ish and about 190lbs.

Thank you in advance.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A standard grey tweed isn't supposed to be more expensive in relation to many other worsted wool fabrics. It's not a fine fabric. True tweed is a coarse woolen fabric. It was originally made for hunting in Scotland.

That being said, doubt you will find many advocates for cheap mall brands like Banana and H&M. They are almost sure to be ill fitting, tight, and glued together. Also made of poor quality tweed. -

Last edited:

cewin

Reaction score
If I want a $700+ tweed suit, I'll have my tailor make me one. I'm looking for something that will suffice. It needs to match and not break our budget.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why age have to match as if it were some form of sporting event? It makes no earthly difference and is just a passing fad. If the order were formal day dress no one would insist that the striped trousers or waist coats be identical. Get yourself a tweed suit if you want one, I suspect all would wear suits without being asked so let it pass at that.

gsugsu

Reaction score

Greetings,

I am getting married in January.  I live in the northeast US and it will be quite cold with possible snow.  To go along with the winter theme I think it would be great to have my groomsmen and myself in grey tweed suits.  However, the problem that I've run into is that the selection is sparse and very expensive. I wouldn't mind if it was just myself, but I would feel terrible asking my groomsmen to drop $700+ on my wedding.   In years past, I've seen a decent tweed selection from Banana Republic but haven't seen much this year.  H&M used to do a really cheap grey tweed suit.  Not great quality, but really wouldn't be so bad for just one day.  I think they discontinued it though.  JCrew has some tweed options this year, but they are overpriced.

So I'm coming to you guys for help and recommendations.  We're looking for grey tweed suits that are under $300.  Medium grey, not too dark, not too light. We can do some tailoring, but we're looking for something more slim fitting. Four of us are about average height 5'9" - 5'11"; 145-175lbs.   One is 6'3"ish and about 190lbs. 

Thank you in advance.

you might want to check out Asos which seems to have tweed-esque fabrics at low prices and you can mix and match. Not sure how slim fitting/shrunken you want things though:

http://www.asos.com/search/tweed?q=...item_4868&currentpricerange=10-545&pgesize=36

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right and you'd be throwing your money away by spending $300 on a crappy number from H&M

Look around past the mall brands

If I want a $700+ tweed suit, I'll have my tailor make me one.  I'm looking for something that will suffice. It needs to match and not break our budget. 

cewin

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads